It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Companion plants
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 10:00 pm 

I saw someone post about planting Marigolds with their tomatoes, so I gave it a try. The Marigolds are comming up great as well as my tomatoes.
Now I found this on the internet and am wondering if the birds are going to be a bother to the tomatoes.

"Why are grackles shredding my marigolds? How can I make them stop?"

Grackles and some other birds are attracted to marigolds because they have a "natural insecticide" that help the birds rid themselves of mites. The birds move the petals through their feathers, thereby cleaning themselves. They generally do not harm the plant itself - they use the flower petals. If their behaviour or presence bothers you, you can eliminate the problem by simply choosing another type of flower for your yard.
For many people, once this intelligent and intriguing behaviour has been explained, planting marigolds is a choice they make as a way of attracting wild birds to their yards

Post subject: Companion Plant.
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:54 am 

Mr.Doglips:

Sorry for riding your thread but I also have a question regarding companion plants.

What is a good companion plant, vegetable wise, to put between Cucumbers and Bell Peppers? I have about 5' between them. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:55 am 

I have stink bugs all over my standing cypress which is growing adjacent to my vegetable garden. I haven't seen a stink bug on any other plant. Is this an example of good companion planting or am I attracting stink bugs to my garden!? :?