It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cedar Mulch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:31 pm 

Is Cedar Mulch made from Cedar that has the oil removed? Or is it fine for me to make my own from local cedar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:38 pm 

I'm not familiar with where Breckenridge is. Any fully ground wood made from small branches "should" be a good mulch. On the other hand I've heard the really aromatic cedar from East Texas is not all that great.

There is a company that extracts the aromatic oils from the Hill Country cedar and sells the remaining pulp chips as a mulch. I've heard very good things about that stuff. Supposedly you can grow directly in it.

Post subject: Cedar Mulch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:19 am 

Thanks David, I am about 4 1/2 hours north of you or 60 miles northeast of Abilene. I think that basically the cedar here is about the same as the Hill Country. Have heard that a pint of cedar oil is worth lots of money. Have bought cedar post for fence for my pasture, have to handle them with gloves because they secrete a sticky substance that is hard to wash off. When they have seasoned or dried they are fine. I was assuming if I chipped only dried cedar it would be fine, just wanted to be sure. I hear that it is great for pest control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:53 am 

tommyr: you are right I have live in hill country as well as breckenridge cedar is just almost identical. I got some cedar in Mineral Wells was dried out post they do great in garden also use them in dog house for bedding.

Post subject: JV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:20 pm 

Thanks JV, also good for people that live in older pier & beam house. Skunks get under the house, just cut some green branches and throw them around under the house. It will run them away. One time during the 70's we had sand fleas under the house. They would come up through the floor early in the morning, drive you crazy. Cedar got rid of them.