It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:34 am 

My four month old kittens, have a very bad case of ringworm and diarrhea. My normal vet has prescribed Itraconazole for the ringworm and Flagil for the Diarrhea.
my concern about the flagil is the toxicity to their liver, they have been on it for three weeks and it doesnt seem to be helping . I do know that itraconazole can cause diarrhea but one of the kittens still has it after all this time . i also have been doing cornmeal wash on their ears , as I hear it is a good anti-fungal treatment . Does anyone have any advice out there, I feel this is really hard to get rid of. please help!!!

Wiggirl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:07 am 

First off, let me say I'm very sorry to hear about your kittens. I am not a vet but I have had puppies b4 with similiar illnesses and a I am a mother of two little girls plagued with colitis so I have a little experience with diarrhea. The best advice I have ever received was from my anatomy professor and she learned it from tribal women in Africa.

Take a pot water and boil rice in it - double the amount of water and cook it for two to three minutes longer than the directions call for. Strain the rice out of the water and let the water cool. When cool let the kitten drink this water instead of their normal water for a couple of hours and then switch back and forth with regular water. The starch in the rice boiled off into the water and help to put substance to the stool.

You might want to talk this over with your vet as I've not done with kittens but it did work with my puppy. Also, do you know if kittens can/will/should have bananas? They also work to firm up the stool. Your in my prayers,
Christina

Post subject: Ringworm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:24 pm 

For the ringworm, get tea tree oil and rub it in generously to the areas affected by the ringworm. Not so the area is wet but to make sure you get every exposed area covered. You'll need to do it in the morning & evening for a few days but it will usually clear up in 3 days. I have used this on ringworm several times and it works beautifully. Get a good quality essential oil from the Herb Market, Whole Foods or a good herbal store. It starts working immediately and even if they lick it off (but they don't like the tast so they usually don't) it won't hurt them. To help counteract the effects on their liver, try getting a liquid form of milk thistle and adding it to their water. The ones I have used have a little honey in them so the cats don't mind it much. You'll have to mix it well but it will help. Or you can get capsules and mix it into their food if that's easier. Milk thistle helps support the liver and is used by physicians in hepatitis and cirrhosis treatment.

For the diarrhea, I will back that rice water recommendation. It works very well. I used it on my daughter when she was small and had digestive problems. The kittens might even eat a little rice if you feed it to them or mix it in with their regular food. I have a cat with digestive problems and about once a week I feed her a soft food with rice in it just to help her along. She had terrible digestive problems when I first got her but she's in tip top shape now.

Hope your kitties are back to full health and happy babies by Christmas!
Kathe :D

Post subject: Aloe
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:51 pm 

I have a cure for your cat. It's called 'George's Aloe'. It is aloe juice that tastes like spring water. I give my dog the aloe in her water dish so she gets some everyday. It helps with their digestive tract and especially their liver. I think it is the best stuff to give your pets. It also makes their coat shiny and soft. If you want more information about it, I'd be glad to tell you more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:52 pm 

Listerine will kill ringworm. I have used it on my horses with great regularity and had a friend to use it on her kittens with the same problem. Just dab a little on the problem area or if it is on their tails, dip the tails on it directly from a small bottle. Robbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:55 pm 

You might want to check before using tea tree oil on cats/kittens. I read this tip and then did a search on Google to see if it would work on puppies. Apparently, some people claim it can kill cats--toxic to liver. The website said some cats can tolerate it and others can't. No hard, proven evidence, but you might want to ask your vet.

By the way, I know nothing about tea tree oil, but it might be interesting to get some feedback from some of the experts on this board.

Post subject: Tea Tree on Cats
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:57 pm 

I have used tea tree oil on my cats for a variety of scrapes, etc. and never had any problem except that they don't like the smell much. I apply a drop or two directly to the bite, wound, etc. and rub it in. My dogs don't like the smell either but none of them has ever gotten sick from it.

I read up on this because I was so surprised at the post and found in two cases that I read that what I would term an overdose was what caused the reaction. As wonderful as it is, I would never bathe my animals in diluted tea tree oil and I surely wouldn't do it to myself! I feel quite confident that too much of ANYTHING would hurt any creature, no matter how simple.

Kathe :D