It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:31 pm 

Nadine: I wasn't sure which area to send this question, so here goes. I have a giant wasp inside my house! I tried to get him outside, that didn't work. Now I can't find it....SO, will it build a 'cone' somewhere on wood within the house? They always build on my front porch on the wooden eave area. How can I find it? Any ideas, anyone? I REALLY don't like them, am scared of them......I don't want to deal with the idea of possibly having a bunch of them here in the house and be surprised by it all. I assume at this point it is hiding in a dark room somewhere, but WHERE? This is a serious question for help, even tho I am somewhat, laughing at the same time...Thanks, Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:42 am 

greenbeans,
I'm not an entomologist, but I think you can relax. I've never heard of this being a problem. I think the wasp probably wound up in your house by mistake and is probably dead somewhere inside or found a way out. They are not like spiders, lurking somewhere waiting for prey. Wasps work as a group and need outside materials for nests, etc. Alone, he won't survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:07 pm 

look around your windows and behind blinds. if he is still indoors, chances are he is trying to get out.

Post subject: your wasp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:54 pm 

greenbeans;
i keep my back door open onto my patio as much as weather allows. the result is i found a small collection of wasps congregating at the top of my high window. they stayed there, kinda dormant, until warm weather woke them up & then they fly around trying to find the exit. that's when i try to herd them outside.
the thing is they want out as much as i want them out.
not the same as your situation - but just wanted to share that. the other thing is i have found (repeatedly) the wasps just kinda mind their own business. it's those darn yellow jackets that have a real attitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:59 pm 

Thank You to all for your responses! I really appreciate the information you gave to me. A friend also mentioned to look behind the blinds in the house. Actually, I am kind of scared to do that...hoping he or she isn't there, right up in my face! :) And since I am not sure if more than one came in, as I opened my front door, I was wondering if they were trying to "nest inside".I hear ya, about the yellow jackets.Oh Gosh...I actually jumped out of my car at a red light years ago when I saw one in my back seat....opened the back door, trying to get it out of the car. Since I was the driver of the car, I held up traffic, while I tried to make sure the thing was OUT of my car....Once it was gone, the light had turned green I got back in, and I made it thru the light, but those behind me got caught with the next red light. I am sure they thought I was a crazy person, and cursed me big time! HA....Update tonight...no wasp sightings in the house, whew!!!Thanks again for your info....I LOVE this website!!!! Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:08 pm 

If it is a really large wasp, it may be a cicada killer. They are virtually harmless, unless you step on them or grab them. The smaller wasp-like insects are the ones you should beware of. That would be yellow jackets. Not to be confused with paper wasp which make those honeycomb shape nests often seen in the eaves and corners outside buildings. What did it look like?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:17 am 

KLS: You were absolutely correct about the wasp.....behind the blinds..I discovered him today 'down' at the bottom of the blinds.
He was still alive, but he wasn't movable enough to make it outside. So he is out of his misery and I guess in Wasp heaven :) I am going with the idea that there was only one of them that got inside??!! Thanks for all your tips, guys!!!!!
Greenbeans