It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rice Hulls
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:04 am 

Organic Advantage will bring them to your place if you order in bulk.
If you just want to buy bags they'll tell you where the nearest retailers is or you can get your local retailer to order them.

Their number is 877-728-8514. Tell them I sent you.
Kathe Kitchens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:58 pm 

Just thought I'd add here that the hulls make great compost additions after you have used them for the cats. Just scoop out the poop and put them on the pile. Lots better than anything else I've ever tried. They control the smell, the cats like them fine and best of all, THEY'RE CHEAP! A huge bag is just $5.95 retail most places. Cat people, you have GOT to try them! They meet all our parameters!

By the way, I found out that if you put a half inch of zeolite in the very bottom of the litter box you can wait longer to change the litter!

Kathe :lol:

Post subject: Kitty Litter?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:49 am 

I thought that you weren't supposed to use cat and dog "manure" in composting because it is so high in protien (or something like that).

Is it a volume issue that allows you to use it (cats don't poop as much at cows (thank the Lord)) so it can be used since it gets so diluted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:14 pm 

No it's not the protein that is the main problem with cat and dog manures. It's the pathogenic and mildly toxic bacteria! It's the wrong kind for plants in its raw form! It can even be deadly or harmful to humans if mishandled.

Some folks have been agressive enough to use cat or dog poops in their edible gardens. However to be extra careful, you need to hot compost it with extra browns, much longer than normal composting, say you do regular greens and browns. Plus the pile must be hot much longer and constantly aerated to insure that the pathogenic microbes are neutralized by the beneficial aerobic microbes in the composting process.

Another way to speed the healthy decomposition of cat/dog poop mixed with browns for edible gardens, is to use more sugary materials like molasses or sugars in your compost pile. All microbes love sugars. Makes them grow like crazy. In composting, the sugars make the good guys over power the bad guys in the microbes universe.

The best way to apply sugars in a compost pile or the soil, is ina tea form. Various compost tea recipes are the best ways to do it, in order to get maximum beneficial microbial growth in the compost.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:51 am 

We know that white rice is all carbs with all the nutrition stripped from each grain. Is the rice hull the good stuff stripped off the rice grain?
Robert D Bard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:06 am 

The rice hull is much like the shell on a peanut.

White rice is white and brown rice is brown. The Bran and Germ is what is "stripped" or milled off of rice in the US, and yes, that is where a lot of the nutrients are stored. What the mills have done to combat this is to fortify or enrich the rice. Another process is used in Converted rice (boiled with hulls on before milling to force some of the nuts. into the rice).

So to answer your question, rice hulls are good for gardeners and not for people (wait, that didn't sound right.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:33 am 

In other words people thinking they are eating better by eating brown rice (organic thought process but not the real Mc Coy) is actually no better than "wheat bread" from the stores.
Thanks for the info.
Robert D Bard
(Dr Bob"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:09 pm 

Kathe,
If you go to H-E-B you can get 100% zeolite kitty litter. It is the Hill Country Fare brand in the blue bag. Cost is $2 for 20 pounds. My two cats use a bag a month.

Is Organic Advantage the only place to get rice hulls?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:42 am 

David, some of the feed stores carry rice hulls in my area. They have them in small bags up to huge bales. My thinking is that they would be available to other areas if the retailer would order them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:44 pm 

Hi ya'll! I have been so busy I haven't been on the forum for ages!

To clear up a little question, I don't compost the kitty manure with the rice hulls. I have another place for that since I compost this matter to use in my vegetable garden. I have other natural science experiments for the poop! :lol: :shock: Dave, sad to say we don't have H-E-B up here where I live. I do keep zeolite around and put a thin layer in the bottom of the litter pan for added odor control.

The rice hulls are becoming more popular for a variety of uses and as more retailers are ASKED for them, they are being made available. By the way, I also experimented and found them to be a nice mulch too. I was rearranging the border of a garden and it was late and about to rain and I didn't have mulch like I thought I did so I used them to cover the soil. They do tend to move a little if on a slant but on flat ground they stay put, hold in moisture nicely and degrade from the soil to the top like other organic materials. They are more fibrous and break down a bit slower but are good browns so they work for me. I have to go help my neighbors out by taking away their bagged leaves (I mulch mine) for material for my own piles. I also like them because they're cheap! :wink:

Kathe :D

Post subject: Rice hulls
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:05 pm 

You can purchase the bagged goods in Sanger, TX at our store.

412 Bolivar St.

Sanger, TX 76266

Tues.- Fri. 9:30 to 5:30
Sat. 9:00 to 3:00
We will open up anytime day or night to serve you if we know you are coming!

940/458-2511

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:35 pm 

Regarding all these uses for rice hulls, I'm a little reluctant to use them for kitty litter because the hull is what is most exposed to chemicals during the growing process. I wouldn't want to expose my kitty to all those chemicals, unless we are talking about organically grown rice hulls.

I tried zeolite when Howard first suggested it on his show a few years ago. I wasn't crazy about it either because it doesn't clump very well.