It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:22 am 

That's great Patty! Thanks for stating an opinion! Very good idea about the notification!

I know I'm not against progress or technology. I just like to see technology applied properly and it's great when it works to a mutual benefit. I also like "new and improved", however at the same time I'm cognizant that "new and improved" doesn't necessarily equate to "better than before" :)

Just curious were you included in the Ground Crew "feedback" request regarding this change? This group has been mentioned, but it has not been identified the number of particpants and how those were chosen. I believe as a subscriber I am a member, but heard nothing about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:02 am 

Mr.C-Thanks for your 'thanks'! I REALLY try NOT to be against new tech but its often difficult...I DO spend some time jumping out of my 'puter chair & screaming...
You wrote:
Just curious were you included in the Ground Crew "feedback" request regarding this change? This group has been mentioned, but it has not been identified the number of particpants and how those were chosen. I believe as a subscriber I am a member, but heard nothing about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 am 

Mr. Clean wrote:
...I am still undecided as to whether or not I am satisfied with the overall value of the new format.

Doug wrote:
... but we have set it up based upon the feedback we have recieved from th Ground Crew members.
This statement is really the impetus of my post. What feedback? ...My initial thoughts were that the "paperless" product would be a good thing for the environment. Further thoughts have led me to believe that if the community deems it necessary to print the issues on our own, then the resources used may be greater than when centrally produced.

From a cost standpoint, it seems that the cost of producing the printed product shifts from the producer to the end user. We will still pay for our subscription plus printing costs. Hmmm...and the benefit is? ...
These are just initial thoughts and the concept may indeed grow on me and others (who knows they may already like it :) ). But for now, (for me) the jury is still out. [/i]

Far as any feedback, I gave mine and it was positive regarding the changes of The Dirt going online. I am however, concerned about those without computer access. Some folks have difficulty in getting around. If you know of anyone like this, you could print off a copy for him or her and give it to them. You can adjust the saturation of color that is used in printing if you are concerned about the cost of ink.

Regarding the value, I think it is still a fair price. I mean, look at what all you get with the instructive, informative videos which are now available. Would you not think that these cost $$ to produce? The fact that the back issues will be available to us is nice, too. I doubt everyone will feel the need to print every issue. If desired, one may print a selected portion of it. 8)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:21 pm 

Nadine wrote:
Far as any feedback, I gave mine and it was positive regarding the changes of The Dirt going online.

So Nadine, does this statement mean that you are one of the mystery segment of GroundCrew membership whose feedback was requested before the change in formats?

Nadine wrote:
I am however, concerned about those without computer access.

Valid concern, but I assume (a dangerous thing) that some market study was performed before the change.

Nadine wrote:
Some folks have difficulty in getting around. If you know of anyone like this, you could print off a copy for him or her and give it to them. You can adjust the saturation of color that is used in printing if you are concerned about the cost of ink.

I think some of us are still contemplating the costs (and aggravation) of printing our own copies. It's a little early (IMO) to start suggesting we print for others :D

Nadine wrote:
...you get with the instructive, informative videos which are now available.

These may turn into a good information tool, but for me personally using dial-up access and the Windows Media player, the video quality is too poor.

Nadine wrote:
The fact that the back issues will be available to us is nice, too.

Yes, we know they will be archived, but another of the unanswered questions has been "for how long?".

Nadine wrote:
I doubt everyone will feel the need to print every issue. If desired, one may print a selected portion of it. 8)

This is true, there has never been an issue that where I wanted to read, much less keep, every article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:37 pm 

Mr. Clean, You stated that the video quality is poor. I can hear the audio but can see the video. I have even tried it at work where we have broadband. Still no video. Is there some special secret setting to see the video.
Other web sites work fine, just not this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:35 pm 

Gar,

I am assuming that you are using Windows XP and this is how I have based what I am asking.

Do you have the most recent version of Windows Media Player installed? The easiest way to find out which version you have is to click on Help in WMP and then click on about Windows Media Player. If you do not have 10, I would start there; here is a link for it. Also, I use the Dial-Up version on all the video; they are a fraction of the size and take no time to download on my DSL. Have you tried them? Have you had any success if so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:42 pm 

Scott,
No I am using Windows 2000 Professional with XP Office Suite. I'll check on the version of Media Player.
Thanks for the info and help.

Post subject: Dirt on line
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:58 am 

I was thinking I could install whatever I want/need to view the videos that are available b/c I can not see or hear them at this time. My laptop is actually my company 'puter & it's all we have (I hear the gasps out there) but I will be able to purchase it for a couple Cs when co. gives us new ones next month. Right now I can't even attach a scanner. This private email is actually a no-no. Soooo, what should I be getting as far as software to assure that I am able to get the videos? Also, will there be a 'still' picture area of ground crew etc?
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:04 pm 

Scott,
Thank you for your help. I had media player 7 installed and upgraded per your instuctions and now able to see the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:14 am 

You're welcome! Glad I could be of assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:12 pm 

Can we get a moderator to come in create a new thread and move these posts so the original topic is not lost.

TIA