It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Dirt
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:56 pm 

The Dirt is not user friendly. On a high speed connection it takes 30 minutes to down load. If you have a dial up, it will takes hours to download.
Plus, if you print The Dirt on an Ink Jet printer, it will suck all the ink out of your printer. The Dirt is not environmentally friendly. I don't know if the cost of The Dirt is worth the time and ink. Plus, if I was an advertiser, I would be concern about the reduced number of people seeing my ads.
When an 'old' copy of The Dirt lays around, numerous people pick it up and ask me about products advertised. No one is going to see those ads on a computer screen but me.

I love technology, but I think THE DIRT is a mistake on line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The DIRT is web pages. It is delivered as any other web page on the internet. A page should be delivered immediately, but could take a few seconds based upon your connection speed. But in any case, it should not take 30 minutes to hours. In terms of printing the DIRT, we have made as easy as we can. We will continue to work hard on making it more useful and easy to use. We have broken the printing into sections for ease of use and to make it quicker to print. We can always subdivide the printing sections further, but we have set it up based upon the feeddback we have recieved from th Ground Crew members. If you prefer to print it all at once, you will have to ask for it and minimize the download until it completes its task. You are correct, it will take some time to receive the whole magazine for printing, but as long as you as aware of this timing, hopefully you can plan accordingly. We have received overwhelming feedback and praise regarding the new features of information links, direct links to advertisers, more pictures, more in depth articles, color and savings trees. November was the first issue with this new format and you can count on us working hard to make it more useful. Lastly, we already are delivering the DIRT to more poeple online than through the mail, and more people our joining our community daily.

Post subject: Re: The Dirt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:12 am 

wacomac wrote:
The Dirt is not user friendly. On a high speed connection it takes 30 minutes to down load. If you have a dial up, it will takes hours to download.
Plus, if you print The Dirt on an Ink Jet printer, it will suck all the ink out of your printer. The Dirt is not environmentally friendly. I don't know if the cost of The Dirt is worth the time and ink. Plus, if I was an advertiser, I would be concern about the reduced number of people seeing my ads.
When an 'old' copy of The Dirt lays around, numerous people pick it up and ask me about products advertised. No one is going to see those ads on a computer screen but me.

I love technology, but I think THE DIRT is a mistake on line.

:lol:
I just read THe DIRT online came up fast on my DSL connection did not try to print but was fast coming up so I could read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:13 pm 

:? The problem I have with printing the DIRT. is the majority of the advertisments come up blurred. The worst on is the 'Black Kow' one. I use a high quality laser printer, HP 5SI, using the best quality print. I have tried to print the the same page on a low quality printer, Epson, with the same results. I even re-downloaded the file and tried again with the same results. It took about 10 minutes at ethernet speed. This was done at 06:30 before anyone came in to work. Is it the font and style that is used in the adds that causes this issue? Other then that, I like the on-line version. Now maybe the DIRT can grow with more organic articles. I print each one for future reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The advertisements look blurred because most of the artwork has not been updated for the online version. The advertisers are sending in new artwork, so the ads will look much better in future issues. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, you can click on most of the ads to visit the advertisers. You will also be able to enjoy an expanded DIRT as it will grow with more articles about natural organic gardening and living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:32 am 

Thanks Doug. I will look forward to the next Dirt with the new version of the adds. Keep up the great work on the Dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:19 pm 

I haven't really commented on this new approach for distributing The Dirt since it is still in its infancy. I am still undecided as to whether or not I am satisfied with the overall value of the new format.

Doug wrote:
... but we have set it up based upon the feeddback we have recieved from th Ground Crew members.
This statement is really the impetus of my post. What feedback? The impliciation would be pre implementation. I don't recall any inquiries are request for feedback. Please explain.

My initial thoughts were that the "paperless" product would be a good thing for the environment. Further thoughts have led me to believe that if the community deems it necessary to print the issues on our own, then the resources used may be greater than when centrally produced.

From a cost standpoint, it seems that the cost of producing the printed product shifts from the producer to the end user. We will still pay for our subscription plus printing costs. Hmmm...and the benefit is?

If someone would care to point out their views as to pros and cons of the new format, I would like to read those.

What are the plans for back issue archival?

These are just initial thoughts and the concept may indeed grow on me and others (who knows they may already like it :) ). But for now, (for me) the jury is still out. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The original feedback was based upon conversations with many members. Since the beginning of November, we have received over 100 email and phone conversations with overwhelming positive response on the direction the DIRT is going. As we have stated, it is a work in progress. Future issues will continue to improve in its content, reader involvement and usefulness. If you choose to print it, it will continue to become easier and more efficient. We will continue to make improvements, but also companies like HP, Canon and others have made recent announcements about future enhancements to make home printing better, faster and 40% cheaper. The next 1- 3 years is going to be very interesting and fun with all the improvements and advancements in the information delivered to our homes. We are trying to make the Dirt Doctor's message, information and community as useful and helpful as possible. You can count on us working as hard as we can on accomplishing this goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:09 am 

Please forgive me if I’m a bit slow on the uptake, but…

Mr. Clean wrote:
Doug wrote:
... but we have set it up based upon the feeddback we have recieved from th Ground Crew members.
This statement is really the impetus of my post. What feedback? The impliciation would be pre implementation. I don't recall any inquiries are request for feedback. Please explain.

And you respond…

Doug wrote:
The original feedback was based upon conversations with many members.

I missed the answer.

When and where did these conversations take place? “Many members”? How many members?

The curiosity is killing this cat.

Another unanswered question…

Mr. Clean wrote:
What are the plans for back issue archival?

Doug wrote:
…Future issues will continue to improve in its content, reader involvement and usefulness.

… If you choose to print it, it will continue to become easier and more efficient. We will continue to make improvements…

…We are trying to make the Dirt Doctor's message, information and community as useful and helpful as possible. You can count on us working as hard as we can on accomplishing this goal.

Would you care to expand on any or all of these statements?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel that I have tried to answer your questions honestly and openly. Sorry that I missed the one on the back issues of the DIRT. We will offer back issues of the DIRT prior to November 2004 in the dirtdoctor.com store as long as there are available issues. The November 2004 DIRT and future issues will be online. Future enhancements will be the ability to search the DIRT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:52 pm 

Doug, I did not question your honesty, I just stated that there was no answer to the question. If, I have missed it in reading your response, I apologize. If this is the case, please highlight the answer.

I'm not interested in back issues of the hard copy Dirt. My question regarding archival was strictly related to the new online version(s).

Doug wrote:
...The November 2004 DIRT and future issues will be online. Future enhancements will be the ability to search the DIRT.

Does this mean, yes you will archive the online version? For what period will the issues be archived? If the search function is applied well, this could prove to be a worthwhile tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, the online DIRTs will be archived electronically and will be available for the members use.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:32 am 

I have to agree, I really enjoy the colorful photos, artwork, etc. However, I still am concerned over the fact the magazine has gone strictly to a online basis.
It is not that I anti-technology. If you look around where is sitting, you will see my PDA, MP3player, laptop, desktop, etc,etc... I just have become mature about technology and realize some things are still best the 'old' way.
I hate Mr. Clean is the only other person, besides myself that are willing to debate this change. I agree your changes has moved the cost to the membership. Or to the employer of the member. Since, it sounds some of the members are using company resources their for personal hobby.
Oh, one good thing is...you can redeem your spent ink cartridges for paper at most national chain office supply stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:09 pm 

wacomac, I'm not even sure that we could classify what has transpired in this thread as "a debate". I view it more as an attempt at an information exchange and related customer feedback. I am too somewhat surprised and disappointed that others have not weighed in with their thoughts/opinions on the format changes; whether in favor of or against or still uncertain. Is it a case of apathy?

I am also very disappointed with why several questions have gone unaswered.

Post subject: DIRT online
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:39 am 

Well, OK, I'll add my 2 cents. I guess if it were up to me, I'd opt for DIRT in the mail. I'm old & I like mail. It was always a nice surprise: time for The Dirt! But progress marches on & online DIRT is fine w/me. Would like some sort of notification that the new one is there, tho...
Patty