It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:52 pm 

I have plain old garden ants in and under my hot tub. What can I spray to get rid of them? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:17 am 

Neem oil, diatomeous earth, citrus oil are good outdoor remedies.

Boric acid and sugar are classic indoor remedies. Neem oil is good indoors too.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:04 am 

Thanks for the info. I'll try one or more of these substances. Have a great day!

:D

Post subject: Ants aren't always bad
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:36 am 

Hey Muddy! If they're not really bothering anything you might want to leave them alone. Nature hates a void, and if you get rid of the garden ants you might get something you like a lot less. Just a thought here....
Kathe

Post subject: Ants
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:21 am 

Hi Kathe - Actually, I don't mind the ones underneath the tub, but the nests inside the tub around the rim of the cover are very annoying. Somehow they seem to deter people from getting into the water! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:19 pm 

I have a problem with ants in the pot where a papaya tree is planted. It is in the house for winter. Sure would like to get rid of them but not harm the tree. Believe they were in the dirt when I brought in the tree. Any suggestions?

Post subject: ants, ants and more ants
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:33 pm 

Well, I can't argue with that! It doesn't make sense to have a hot tub nobody can use. :lol:

I just wanted to mention it because I have so often heard of people wanting to wipe out every single ant in sight and that's just not smart. It creates more problems than it answers, and regular ground ants do a lot of the dirty work for us so they need to be left alone and even encouraged! I have a variety of ant species on my property but no fire ants. I just let them work and leave them alone unless they go somewhere they aren't wanted, like my house!

Gar, try a neem drench or gentle orange oil drench with some molasses and compost tea. I know you make your own compost tea so it's on hand. I'd use maybe 1/4 cup orange oil or just half an ounce of Orange TKO, then 1/4 cup of molasses and compost tea all mixed in a gallon of water. TKO is much more concentrated so you don't have to use a lot for it to work. Drench the soil and they should crater pretty quickly. I've never seen this method require more than a second treatment to get rid of the problem.

Another option is to mix some diatomaceous earth on the top of the soil and leave the plant dry for a few days. I chased ants out of a ficus tree that way once. They disappeared and never came back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:25 pm 

Thanks Kathe, I will try the DE. I bought some 'Come and Get It' at Wells Brothers today. As soon as it dries up I will spread some of it around the foundation. Hopefully it will keep the ants out of the house. Was pretty happy when I saw 'Earthworm' at Wells Brothers. Guess they will sell it but Lowes will not.