It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: meet & greet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:38 pm 

Hi, another desert rat has moved back to Texas. We have been in Arizona for the last 18 years. I was a grower with Martori Farms the Kandy label.Move to Brownsboro, thats between Athen and Tyler on Hwy.31 I'm trying a one acre market garden. Having to learn the Texas way again. Had to ask someone what was falling from the sky, but by June I knew what rain was. Tough summer growing as I am on bottom land. Hope to learn alot and have some fun visting. Danbar

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:10 am 

Glad to have you danbar-what will you grow?
Patty

Post subject: New Blood needs help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:17 am 

Organic Yankee here

I am new at all this. Building our first house and going all native and organic. Monday the 609 Buffalo grass comes in and I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this? Also, what are suggestions for prep for the sod goes in? Look forward to working with you all!!

Post subject: Re: New Blood needs help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:59 pm 

Organic Yankee wrote:
Organic Yankee here

I am new at all this. Building our first house and going all native and organic. Monday the 609 Buffalo grass comes in and I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this? Also, what are suggestions for prep for the sod goes in? Look forward to working with you all!!

Welcome. :D Where are you from?

Here are a couple of tips I found. You may want to check out
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewfor ... 10b9fdf011 as well! :wink:

From http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dallasnews.php?id=34

Q. I am a recent convert to the natural way. In your literature, you talk about getting the weeds out before you add compost, green sand, etc. If I just scrape off the weeds, is that enough? Will they still reproduce from the roots? Or will that individual plant come back if I don’t get all the roots? – F.L., Allen, TX

A. Bermuda is the main weed that will continue to return if not removed but even its roots remain. Grasses can only regrow from the stems. Bermuda’s stems are above ground (stolons) and below ground (rhizomes)...

and from http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dallasnews.ph ... et_theme=1

Question: We just had buffalo grass sod installed. Our landscape person said to water it daily for two months for it to become established. After two weeks, however, it appears fairly well established, and I am concerned that I may be overwatering it. Can you tell me the best care and watering for this lawn?

R.I., Dallas

Answer: You're smarter than the landscape guy. Once any grass, but especially buffalo, roots and starts to grow, it needs much less than daily watering. Buffalo grass rarely needs more than one good soaking every two weeks after it starts growing. When it is established, watering once a month is enough.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach