It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:55 am 

I'm looking to cut down some trees as described earlier in another thread to use the lumber to span with chicken wire to support the '05 mater crop. I think I can get a very long piece of mesquite that will do the trick but I'm only going to have access to the chainsaw at the site once.

How high will this stuff grow? I've always used those little short cages and the vines end up pouring out everywhere.

Is there any disadvantage to doing maters this way? I've heard you can actually shorten the spacing between plants, get better circulation, and get more varieties versus the cage method too so it looks to be a winning proposistion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:39 am 

I all depends on which variety you plant. I have about 16 plants and they range from about 3 ft to about 9ft. Last year our sweet 100 and golden pear tomatoes grew to 7 ft, within a wooden "scaffolding" that my husband built, then spilled over the sides and back down to the ground...meaning they were 12-14ft tall if it had gone straight up. Here's a link to images of what we build every year.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v199/sand ... affolding/

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:13 am 

So you keep adding cross members to that as they grow on up I assume?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:26 pm 

Try this link for additional info. to cage tomatoes.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2459&highlight=concrete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:09 am 

Yes, that's correct. We start with regular tomato cages, and as soon as the plants are taller than the cages my husband starts building the structure. He starts with 7ft. tall vertical pieces and adds the cross pieces as the plant grows. Once the branches of the plant start to droop over the cage we secure them to the cross pieces with a 4-5 inch strip of pantyhose. The hose holds it securely but doesn't cut into the plant and it stretches with the wind or in a storm.

We seperate the smaller plants like Romas from the taller ones like sweet 100, Brandywine, Golden Pear, Golden Jubilee etc.. It works well for us.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:17 am 

I just added another image to the same link above to give you a broader view of one of three planting areas in our backyard. You can see that it was early in the season as not many of the cross pieces had been screwed in yet. If you can imagine that the plants on the right grew up and over the tallest part of the vertical pieces. Amazing.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:50 pm 

My mother found by cutting the tomato plants, when they get to the top of the cages, that she has more and bigger tomatoes. Next year I am going to try the same thing in my garden. Every one of her tomatoes were 1 pound plus. Rather then let all the energy go into the stems, it goes into the tomatoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:26 am 

Sounds good, I'll look for that 6x6 out and about.

Also looks like I'll need to do a little research about what tomatoes to grow vertical versus in some sort of surrounding container. I certainly have enough room now that I elminated all my lawn in the BY. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:32 pm 

A few days after your original question on the board, here are my ideas on tomatoes and how to control the height of the plants...In Dallas, my veggies are in garden boxes 12" off the ground, this year they grew to a height of approx 8 ft....with all the beneficial rains...we used the "regular tomato cages initially, then as the plants grew it was merely a matter of "staking" them with the addition of the green poles used for fencing and tying them up with old pieces of nylon/aka pantyhose.....What an awesome crop this year, and am still getting tomatoes. With new blooms as of this writing.... Am used to re-planting tomatoes for the fall, but didn't have to do so this year......Whenever the first freeze happens they will be history. Until then, our family/friends/neighbors love us!!!! Hope this helps you....Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:32 pm 

A few days after your original question on the board, here are my ideas on tomatoes and how to control the height of the plants...In Dallas, my veggies are in garden boxes 12" off the ground, this year they grew to a height of approx 8 ft....with all the beneficial rains...we used the "regular tomato cages initially, then as the plants grew it was merely a matter of "staking" them with the addition of the green poles used for fencing and tying them up with old pieces of nylon/aka pantyhose.....What an awesome crop this year, and am still getting tomatoes. With new blooms as of this writing.... Am used to re-planting tomatoes for the fall, but didn't have to do so this year......Whenever the first freeze happens they will be history. Until then, our family/friends/neighbors love us!!!! Hope this helps you....Greenbeans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:19 am 

Ours are the same way...still producing. Last year I went out the day before the first freeze (mid-december) and picked all the tomotoes (even the green ones) which was over 150 off of 6 plants.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:48 am 

Well, after consulting this site, some other growers and HG's books and information I think I'm going to bail on the trellis idea and go with the more conventional concrete wire in a cage system at 24-36" diameters depending on type and as high as I can make it. I figure they'll end up spilling out everywhere but if I can really anchor these cages to the ground I won't have any issues with tipping over cages. Some have said that you can fit 2 plants in these cages no problem. I might experiment with that.

More than a couple of people told me that trellising in the way I planned on doing would cause numerous problems including more sun scald becuase the plants aren't able to make a proper canopy and it becomes difficult to support large fruits. If I had the time and skills I'd emulate sandi's system. I may attempt that system for a second site that I am helping out with that is a bit larger.

---------

On another note, I appreciate this site and the input everyone has and the help I've recieved this year. Hopefully I'll be a helper and not a needer next year as I gain more experience in this organic gardening thing. See you in February!