It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What should I plant?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:40 pm 

I have about 1 acre of land in the back of my home that was previously used for farming before I purchased it along with the lot my home sits on. The land has a slight grade to it so with all the rain this year I was experiencing some washout problems. I just plowed it and put out rye grass for the winter. I would like to get some suggestions on what I should seed with this spring. I don’t want Bermuda grass and I cannot afford buffalo grass. What would be some other cost effective ideals and I don’t necessarily have to use grass seeds maybe clover or wild flowers etc… :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:08 pm 

For great information:
www.seedsource.com

They have grass mixes for specific areas and specific conditions. The seed is more expensive, but you get better germination than with seed from some other suppliers. I know this from experience.

Even if you do not buy their seed, you can gain insight and get information on different kinds of grasses for various purposes.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:17 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I went to the site and it looks like its exactly what I was looking for.

Post subject: Re: What should I plant?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:30 am 

I would like to know which if any of the following flowering trees would be a good choice to plant in my yard, I live in Alvarado, Texas, have a 2 story house in center of 3/4 acres, also would any of these trees be a problem with roots that might be a problem with house foundation, ie should they be planted xx feet away from house, since they are all of flowering type would most not produce a great amount of shade, is there any issues of co-mingle with ea. other tree types ect..?
Thanks in advance. /Joe
Wild Bird Garden
Eastern Redcedars
River Birches
Oak Trees
Live Oaks
Bald Cypresses
White Dogwoods
Autumn Classics