It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Brugmansias in Big Pots
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:36 pm 

In late spring I bought two brugmansia plants from Blue Moon Nursery and planted them in very large clay pots. They are growing and putting out lots of new leaves but I have seen nary a bud, much less a bloom. Are any of you experienced in the wants and ways of this plant?
Thx,
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:36 am 

Kay, from what I understand, they are not real "cold" tolerant, so, #1, plan on bring them in this winter, and since they like the warm, they probably crave direct sun light and lots of it. You might give the nursery a call where you bought the plant. I'll betcha a certified nurseryman could help you out bunches.

Lou Warren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:37 am 

Hi Kay,

From this site:
http://www.americanbrugmansia-daturasoc ... _seeds.htm

Quote:
It normally takes a seed grown Brugmansia 4 months - 2 years to flower for the first time. But it can take longer.

Here's a site with more growing tips.
http://www.brugmansia.us/newtobrugs.html

Hope this helps,
Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:08 am 

I bought a brug plant last spring from a mail order company, and they said not to expect blooms the first year. I have it on my front porch, spider mites infested it, and all the leaves fell off. I moved it into the shade, continued taking care of it, and the leaves are back. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experience with brugs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:47 pm 

Hi SJ,

Brugs are real bug magnets. I had to get rid of mine as it's not cold hardy in my zone. In the winter, no matter how well I prepared it to bring in for the winter, the bugs would shed their honeydew and it would be sticky all over the carpet. New carpet meant no brugs in the house as that was the only room I could keep them in.

If you'd like to read more of people's experiences with them take a look here. You may find the FAQ's interesting as well.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/brug/

Newt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:22 pm 

Hey, all--I bought a Yellow Brug in Apr 04 from the FW Botanic Garden Sale. According to the (popsicle) stick info, it was 2yrs old & had been pruned 3x. I put it in the back yard, S side, sun until about 1400hrs (2pm) & my only real problem is keeping it hydrated. It has had 4 flushes of blooms, starting in Jun & most recently in mid-Sept. I also had placed it against a chain-link fence & after 2 months, had to support it w/ jute twine & old pantyhose to the fence. Of course, we've had the wettest summer in history, which is why I got lazy re watering. The 1st set of flowers was only 3, but the most recent was 17. And, it's now 65" tall, from 22" in Apr. I have to admit, it smells great, even if the fragrance is kinda faint (age? wants more fert?), & it looks TERRIFIC when in bloom. It sure can look pitiful if it's thirsty, tho. I'm going to check the listed websites to see if I need to cut back & mulch heavily for winter. As I'm in zone 8a, it should overwinter (at least I hope so!) Oh, and I have seen a few holes (which could have been due to wind-whip or hail), but absolutely NO BUGS. Of course, being organic 15 yrs means I have lots of helper predators & I have seen several patrolling the plant. In addition, there's a wee froggy that likes to sit in the birdbath at the foot of the Brug-I assume he's helping w/ the pest problem. Will post more info as it becomes available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:39 pm 

Hi Sweetscent,

Not sure if this is a question but:
Quote:
...it smells great, even if the fragrance is kinda faint (age? wants more fert?)...

That is genetic and more fertilizer or age probably won't make any difference.

Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:34 am 

Hi, Kay !
I have had a few Brugs for the past two years, and I confess to being severely addicted ! They are fun, fragrant and have become a wonderful pastime.. hehe.
DH has just consented to breaking down the bed in our Guest Room, so we can have the plastic-covered floor for the 6+ brugs we need to bring in, here in Arlington... haha.
If I'd had more experience with them in the winters here, I might try overwintering one or two, maybe next year. Right now, tho, I have to take cuttings for all my friends before I risk losing any to the cold.
I am a paying member of Brugmansia Growers International, (http://www.brugmansia.us/siteindex.html) but there is still a lot of info available to non-members as well. These are a wonderfully friendly group, and I'm pleased to report that we 'organic' folks are gaining respect with our ways, especially via our photos !! hehe.
PM's or emails welcome.
Blessings, Pambi[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:53 am 

I neglected to comment about your "very large clay pots" ... these plants prefer being root-bound, and some of the tallest, most bloom-laden plants I've ever seen were growing in 3 gallon pots, buried in the ground to keep them upright! These are remarkable specimens, for sure. SO glad I got started in Brugs ;)
It's not a great idea to fertilize right now, BUT, for future reference, a sprinkle of Epsom Salts on the soil, then wtered in, will encourage blooms.... if you plan to bring them indoors, don't encourage blooms right now, is all.
Blessings, Pambi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:34 pm 

Forgive me if this doesn't work, but I'm attempting to use a new (to me) way to display an image for y'all.
THIS brug was a SEED at this time last year... obviously blooming well THIS fall. Don't believe everything you hear about brugs from local nurseries... hehe. There are very FEW with much knowledge of these beauties nearby. It's just a fact.
Let's see if anyone can peek at this pic, OK?
Blessings, Pambi
http://tinypic.com/dqo3k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:52 pm 

YAY ! it worked for me, at least ... I'll attempt a couple more pics from MY garden (the first one was not) :)

http://tinypic.com/dqpsj
http://tinypic.com/dqq2u

#1 is a Frosty Pink, in a 3 gal pot, submerged in huge planter.. 3 gal will be dug out and set indoors for the winter. This one always blooms better in the fall.. pic was taken late August.
#2 is a Charles Grimaldi, approx 4' tall, in 3 gal pot on patio.

LOVE these plants :)

All gardeners are nuts, right ? :)
Blessings, Pambi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:48 pm 

This is the website of one of BGI's most prolific organic Brug growers (Bruggyman) ... he lives in Toronto Canada !!
/http://members.rogers.com/ereid/
Click on the June-Sept links (each individual month) to see his actual chronicles... completely amazing the results !
Yay, organics !!

Blessings, Pambi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:07 pm 

Hi Pambi,
Your brugs are beautiful. I love the way the pink one is complimented by the color of the pot!

You say you live in Arlington, and I'm thinking it may be Arlington, Va. Maybe there is an Arlington in Texas, but I don't know what that zone is. I live in Maryland zone 7, northeast of Washington, D.C. and they are hardy here. The problem is that they bloom in late Sept. or Oct. if left in the ground and you really don't get to enjoy their blooms for long.

Newt

Post subject: Brugmansias in Big Pots
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:14 pm 

Pambi,
Thanks so much for the pictures and all the information. I am such a beginner and as you have said, not too many people, professional gardeners, or us common folk, seem to have much information. I bought my two brugmansias this summer at Blue Moon Gardens, in Chandler, a little east of Edom, in east Texas. That is a wonderful place, and they propagate their own plants. I bought (supposedly) a yellow brug and a coral colored brug. The "yellow" one finally is in full bloom. The buds start out looking a creamy yellow color, but by the time they open they are pretty much white. The coral one hasn't bloomed as yet. When I was paying for the plants and mentioned I was going to plant them in pots, the person checking me out said "well, you better put them in some pretty big pots because they will get really big." I might have taken them too much at their word. I guess it will take awhile for their roots to fill out the pots; I just hope I can keep them healthy until then. I have them in a location with morning (until about 1:00) sun and afternoon shade. We feed them occasionally, but not often. How much sun and how much fertilizer do you think is best?

Thanks again for your great pictures and all the info.
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:15 pm 

Did you all know that Brugmansias glow in the dark?? see....
http://tinypic.com/drv5e

Sorry, I couldn't resist using this picture posting site once again
:lol: