It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:08 pm 

I just recently purchased a house in Aledo, TX (N. Central TX)...the house is about 2 yrs. old, thus the lawn is of the same age. This house was previously used as a model home, and the lawn had been cared for, but I'm not sure how well. The builder said that she had been using Chem-Lawn (commercial lawn care service) every few months to fertilize the lawn while she occupied the house as her offices...plus she frequently watered the lawn as well. However, once I moved in roughly 2 months ago, I've been watering 3-4 times a week, but I've only been having to cut the grass every 3-4 weeks...it simply doesn't grow!!! Well some spots right near the house (side and back) that stay shaded for a while during the day do grow...which is why I proceeed to cut the lawn even though much of the lawn really isn't ready to be cut. The wierd thing is that the lawn isn't brown or dead...it's somewhat green, just not the robust green that I would expect and would like to have in my yard. Obvoiusly not having much knowledge on lawn care, I purchased some fertilizer from Loews (Texas Turf Builder...not sure of the brand name?). The company guarenteed a greener lawn immediately or your money back...well, it hasn't worked! I'm just not sure if I must be more patient, and wait for my lawn to mature over the years?

I've read some of the topics about St. Aug grass on this message board, and I hear about corn meal...is this the same corn meal that can be purchased at the grocery store? If not, where should I look for this product?

Also, I've been told that I might need to bring in some more enriched top-soil to spread lightly over the existing yard...does this sound logical?

Any thoughts and/or knowledge would be very helpful!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:21 pm 

cainwilliams,

Welcome to the DD forums. As far as what was done previously, I would forget about that. That is the past, and you can't even be certain as to the accuracy of the informatino. Look now to the present and future. Choosing to care for your lawn organically is, IMO, a good choice.

First things first. Do some reading. Most of your questions have been asked and answered many times in the forums as well as the Home page of the site.

Some initial thoughts...
1. You are watering too frequently, and probably not deeply enough at each watering. Otherwise at your frequency you would have a marsh instead of a lawn.
2. Lawn grass growth rates are naturally slowing down at this time of year. My lawn is only beginning to look shaggy every 10-12 days now.
3. It is hard to address the color of your grass without seeing it in person, and posting pictures aren't the answer as colors are distorted by various monitors, etc. BUT, an organically kept lawn ***in my experience*** is not going to be a "robust green". Deep green colors are generally artificially green.
4. Forget about bringing in additional top soil, unless you have leveling issues. Amend your existing soil instead.

Keep us updated.

EDIT: It will be extremely helpful in the future if you will add location info to your profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:49 pm 

Mr. Clean,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I've gone through and read some of the forums on lawn care, so that has answered most of my questions.

Thank again!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:55 am 

cainwilliams wrote:
I've gone through and read some of the forums on lawn care, so that has answered most of my questions.

Good deal. Quite a collection of information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:59 am 

My experience is that my grass does not grow wildly all summer long. It has a growth spurt in spring and then seemingly goes into a dormant green stage. I'll bet I only mowed 5 times this season. I have also noticed that the folks on the various chemical programs mow all the time. Personally as long as my grass is green and healthy looking, I don't have an internal gut feeling to go out and mow something every week.

My experience is also that my St Augustine grass is clearly darker green than anyone else's in the nearest 500 houses or so. All I do is fertilize with corn meal and the occasional alfalfa pellets. IF THE GRASS GETS WATERLOGGED from days in a row of heavy rain, then I will hit it with green sand. This is important if you live in Texas with our alkaline soils. If you do this you will be the only one on your block with green grass. I don't see a need for using lots of different stuff on the grass. I call it, "No hassle" gardening.

As as you probably already know, the corn meals are pretty much the same except for the grind. Feed store stuff is a lot cheaper.