It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:29 pm 

I have a nice, mature silver maple tree that has some white ant-like bugs digging into the lower trunk of the tree. The bug have dug out some shelf-like ledges in a vertical row of about 10 ledges. When I break off some of the damaged wood, I can see the little critters crawling around in there. Are these termites? Whether they are or not, though, how should I proceed from an organic treatment standpoint?

I should note that I've been tossing clippings and trimming in a pile at the base of the tree in a makeshift compost pile. I haven't turned it in quite a while - maybe two months. A lot of tree branches and rotted-out wood lining of a walkway were laying out there as well.

Thanks for any help!

Post subject: silver maple
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:39 am 

DDPt-
One of the tree guys will be of more help, but I can tell you to get the composted stuff AWAY from the trunk of the tree. & also silver maple is not a good tree-short lived w/lots of diseases. Do you know how old it is? Just about anything can 'get it' if it's 20+ yrs. Learned of these facts AFTER planting a 4' one last fall so guess I should just dig it out & start again w/TX oak or other native. Check out the dirtdoc's sick tree treatment on the home page & maybe that will revive it.
Good luck!
Patty