It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hi from SE Texas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:00 pm 

Hi. I'm new to the organic way of doing things. This site has taught me a lot.
I'm about halfway between Houston and Galveston near Galveston Bay. I have a small vegetable garden that relieves a lot of my stress, but doesn't produce a lot.
I started with Beneficial Bugs this spring and quit spraying chemicals. I now see lots of bugs I have never seen before and the nusiance bugs are not really a problem. I enjoy having these new and interesting creatures in my yard.
The real kicker was when I used corn meal, molasses, etc. on some sick trees in my yard. They are recovering after being almost dead. I have no doubt that a chemical solution would have finished them off.
I have already located sources of organic materials in my area and intend to expand my use of them. The chemicals can go to the next hazardous waste collection I can find.
It's nice to meet Y'all. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:02 pm 

JimBleck,

Welcome to the Dirt Doctor forums. Good news hearing a success story from a new convert! And, you've already found your organic source(s)! Wow you literally JUMPED out of the blocks! Now slow down, take a deep breath and remember it's not a sprint, but a journey.

I further commend you on being responsible in the disposal of the now unused chemicals.

Keep up the good works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:28 pm 

Mr Clean

Thanks for the advice. I will take the time to enjoy the flowers and vegetables I'm growing and take the time to observe the results of the methods I try. The observation is half the fun.

I'm just really excited about learning lots of new things and I think I found the forum where I can do that...it is here. I really like reading the questions and responses.

Post subject: Hi,I'm new here, too.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:31 am 

Way up here in PA!! We are going in to Fall! I have really gotten into gardening this year and have learned so much from the different boards I visit. If it doesn't rain too much, I am heading off to collect rocks and moss before I have to go to work.

I noticed you mentioned cornmeal and molasses. Fungus? I have a very sick lilac and dogwood. I have used the molasses on them. Am thinking of trying cornmeal. I believe the dogwood looks better. The lilac may have to be cut way back in the Spring. It is over 40 years old, the dark purple type. I hate to lose it. How do you use the molasses and cornmeal? I have instructions but wondered if you do it differently. I haven't really had time to check everything out on here. Have a great day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:50 pm 

Fess,

Welcome. Yes, fall is upon you in that part of the country!

At the bottom of the main page of dirtdoctor.com you will see a link to the Sick Tree treatment. That is where I got the idea.

I just spread everything on the ground under the trees watered often and waited. I am finding that patience is a plus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:04 pm 

Hi, thanks. The cornmeal I was told to just spread it under the tree and let it soak in. I believe it is supposed to create a fungus that eats the other fungi. The molasses was mixed with powdered milk and, I think, baking soda, add water and spray on. I have done the molasses. I am planning to try the cornmeal. Maybe I can get it out tomorrow before the rain sets in. I'll check out the sick Tree Treatment post, too. Good luck with your trees.