It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: QUACKGRASS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:04 pm 

I HAD THIS WEED GRASS IDENTIFIED CALLED QUACKGREASS. IT IS ON THE EAST SIDE OF HOUSE. PARTIAL SHADE AND SUN. BEST TO KILL IT OUT OR JUST LEAVE IT? I CALLED HOWARD ON SUNDAY WITH QUESTION BUT NEVER GOT A ANSWER. MIGHT OF THOUGHT IT WAS A JOKE SINCE THIS WEED GRASS DOESNT SOUND REAL BUT IT IS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:54 pm 

Quackgrass is a well known grass. The reason it is so prevalent, like crabgrass, is that it makes excellent forage for livestock. So while farmers and homeowners go around trying to kill it, ranchers are planting it or letting the native quack come in unhindered.

If you are serious about getting rid of it, next February, apply 40 pounds per 1,000 square feet of corn GLUTEN meal. Then follow that up again a month later. Quackgrass seed germinates in the early spring, so the CGM should keep it from sprouting and growing.

Also try to keep your lawn pretty dry between watering next spring. Don't water until your real grass starts to look dry. The soil might be dry for days before the grass looks bad. Then water for an hour or more all at once. I realize you have no control over rain, but do what you can to avoid seed sprouting conditions (continual moisture). And the other thing is to move your mower to the highest setting. Seeds need sunlight to sprout. You can deny sunlight with tall grass. If your grass is bermuda, you might not be able to avoid direct sunlight depending on how dense your bermuda is.