It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:02 pm 

mrClean, I don't believe I was responding to any of your efforts to cop out & promote poison. I believe that folks on this forum need to disagree with what they feel is bad advice, especially the use of POISON!

By the way, how did you come up with Mr. Clean? Do you shower often? :P That was a joke, couldn't resist. Lighten up guy, use what you want. Trying to find other people who approve does not make it right. There are folks who say we need to go back to DDT because it worked great & solved all their bug problems - the h... with the rest of the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:45 pm 

No one (in this thread at least) has advised anyone else to use toxic chemicals. Not once. On the other hand a few people in this thread have stated that they themselves have "stepped over the line" when they've run out of luck with organic solutions.

Can we please try to stay on topic here? If not this thread needs to be locked down or deleted. If you'd like to try to argue about others' personal choices then please take it to private messages or start your own topic and debate to the issue to your hearts content.

My intended topic was - people's own experiences in the use of organic mosquito repellants, particularly for the yard. How have you used them successfully? What, if anything, did you have to do outside of the stated directions for use?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:08 pm 

KHWOZ wrote:
mrClean, I don't believe I was responding to any of your efforts to cop out & promote poison. I believe that folks on this forum need to disagree with what they feel is bad advice, especially the use of POISON!
There are folks who say we need to go back to DDT because it worked great & solved all their bug problems - the h... with the rest of the world.

This is just laughably absurd. Reading and comprehension seem to present a challenge. Though since you made the assertion, I will publicly challenge you to show where I have "copped out" and promoted poisons. If you can't, the retract the statement and move along.

Where are the folks on this forum who say we need to go back to DDT? Do you just make this stuff up as you go?

Again, as the orginal post (that would be the first post) asked and has been subsequently asked...
Quote:
My intended topic was - people's own experiences in the use of organic mosquito repellants, particularly for the yard. How have you used them successfully? What, if anything, did you have to do outside of the stated directions for use?
Based on that question, posts should be related to something that you have tried and worked or tried and didn't work. I would also be interested in personal use products if dcluck doesn't mind the addendum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:08 pm 

I have personally tried multiple different products with different dilution ratios and quantities used. From my experience there are many products on the market that are effective for short term control of mosquitos(7-14days). The trick to having results is to apply enough product with enough active agent without burning any landscaping. I have personally had the best results using ECO-EXEMPT IC at 1oz. per gallon with Skeeter-d-feeter at label mixture rate. The trick again is applying in quantity, typically most yards require a minimum of 15 gallons per application. This is the reason most homeowners are not having results with their products because they are applying only a gallon or 2 at a time.
Greensense has a new mosquito product out that I have had results with as well. It comes ready to use in a hose-end sprayer. Just make sure you use enough (otherwise it's useless).
The reason I state these results is to stress that ORGANIC products do work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:16 pm 

Rid-All,

I do believe this is the type of response we are looking for. Now for some follow up questions. 15 gallons to cover what size area? A backyard? A patio? And confirming the dilution ratio of 1 oz ECO EXEMPT IC plus Skeeter-d-Feeter per gallon? Where does one find ECO EXEMPT product? How much is it? 15 oz. + of product per application?What is the active ingredient?
Quote:
...without burning any landscaping.
:shock: .Will it not work without Skeeter-d-Feeter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:35 pm 

Thanks Rid-ALL. :)

When you say typical sized yard, are you talking half acre? full acre?

In regard to the EOC EXEMPT IC pesticide, I was looking at their data sheets on it and mosquitoes aren't mentioned in the list of bugs that it handles. I decided to call them to verify and they (a customer service rep for what that's worth..) said that their only mosquito control product was Bioganic's ShooBug.

If it's what you all used at my home earlier this spring as a general pesticide then I'm willing to give it a go based on your recommendation. We'll have to track down a consumer level source for it. I recall finding it available by the gallon on the net if it's not around locally.

When Patrick was out at our house last spring he mentioned that he was adding orange oil to Skeeter D'feeter (I think that what he'd mentioned) in order to make it more effective as well as a surficant (can't recall what - coconut oil? dish soap?). Are either of these still necessary using your ECO IC/Skeeter formula?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!! :)

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:43 pm 

Here's the listing where you'll find EcoEXEMPT IC and its data sheet.

http://www.ecopco.com/products.htm

And here's one site you can order it from.

http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/exemptIC.html

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:06 pm 

Thanks Dave, I was just logging back in to post the website. And answering one of my own questions, it is Rosemary Oil based.

A concentrated insecticide offering fast knockdown. Oil based and mixes with water (adjuvant recommended to improve compatibility) with broad applications and control. Excellent for spot or broadcast applications thru all spray systems. Product exempt from federal registration (FIFRA
25(b)(2)).

The have an Exempt product line including the IC product above.

What does Exempt mean?

Considered Minimum Risk* by the EPA, exempt products do not require federal registration.
In most states, these products are not considered pesticides, so posting and notification laws do not apply.
Peace of mind for customers and applicators!

:shock: $92/gallon + s&h :shock: Including the Skeeter-d-Feeter that works to @ $15/week for DIYers. That works close to $300 per season (assuming May-September). For that price I want 100% effective rate. Just curious as to what the pest companies charge for this treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:16 pm 

I'd also like to know how persistent it is after moderate rainfall since that can lead to an unexpected increased cost. I'll give this formula a go next year and try experimenting with garlic/pepper/orange oil/surfectant formulas since it's infinitely cheaper to experiment with and we aren't having anymore parties at our house this year.

As for the quantity of application issue, I've already done some limited expermenting with Skeeter D'Feeter and GreenSense's Citronella Repella products in that regard.
    The Skeeter hose-end spray I tried as perscribed on the label - no results whatsoever. After about 10 days or so I doubled up on its recommended amount and added a good dose of dish soap (can recall the amtount). No noticeable effect. We'd still start getting bites minutes after stepping outside and during a barbeque 4 days afterwards most of our guests were chased inside. The last test I tried with Skeeter was to add orage oil and soap, again at the recommended coverage rate. No love.

My experimenting with GreenSense's Citronella Repella (hose-end) consisted of spraying at at the recommended coverage rate. After a week of no noticeable results I tried it at almost twice the recommended rate in a first application and - on advice given by someone familiar with it - I reapplied it two more times within 7 days from the initial spray. No go and by this time I'm feeling like I'm being sucked dry or am plagued by mutant mosquitoes.

My use of CedarCide was at the begining of the season and I used it twice over a period of 2 weeks as per instruction on its label. Same outcome.

These few deviations from the manufacturer's recommended instructions aren't conclusive by any means, but I did try. Ultimately I shouldn't have had to and I'm not sure that I feel good about the products because of this.

At least now we know what EcoEXEMPT product Howard was talking about. It worked well on the usual creepy crawlies if it's what Rid-ALL is using as their general pesticide.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:23 pm 

I've already begun to experiment with garlic/pepper tea as a yard spray repellant alternative. You can see what I've tried so far here.

~Dave

Post subject: mosquitos
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:01 am 

Hey all you guys, I've been following all 3 pages of this 'saga' & have to say that you all should know how each individual attracts or doesn't attract these beasts!! I've read alot on the darn things & seems like each piece of research turns out differently. You know some have luck w/skin-so-soft, others w/vanilla, etc. Whole families get eaten while someone else sits there unmolested. So the debate continues, but you should take this into consideration. Acknowledge that some stuff works for some & not for others. I think that is what everyone has really tried to get across. It's just hard when you're writing & not 'talking'. That's what were all here for...sharing, not slamming.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:11 pm 

As to the questions listed above, generally when I say typical yard I am referring to 1/2 acre. ECO-EXEMPT IC will work without any other additives, it just will not have the length of residual. Depending on the yard I will either use skeeter-d-feeter or a d'limonene product. D'limonene works well it just gets real costly due to the required mixture rate. If you want to use D'limonene you will need at least 4oz. per gallon depending on which product (be real careful because different products are more concentrated than others). I treat quite a few yards for mosquitos and usually I will get a least 10 days of results. The amount of rain will vary those results but even with as much rain as we have had this year I have been real pleased with the results I have seen. ECO-EXEMPT IC does not have mosquitos on the label but it is quite effective for the control of mosquitos(yes it is not cheap). Our mosquito control program costs $65 an application, just to answer that question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:30 pm 

Well, to me trying to "fog" a yard to repel insects is like trying to air condition it. It's impossible to do. 7 to 14 days??? Give me a break! Surely any breeze will carry it away almost immediately. Even if the fog stays around for a few minutes, what good is that? I think any fog, mist, hose spray, machine, electric zapper, etc. for insect control is nothing but a rip off to get your money. But that's just my opinion, my family only uses the vanilla solution and it works very well for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:21 pm 

Jim, I loved your analogy to air conditioning the outdoors. To expect to totally eliminate mosquitoes in one’s yard seems unrealistic. Repelling and discouraging them seems more reasonable. Don’t do things to invite them- I don’t mean stop breathing because they are attracted by carbon dioxide. The problem seems to require more than one strategy to be successful; there is no one easy solution. No spray/fog, organic or toxic. is going to be effective 100%, in my experience.

Citrocide in combination with vanilla/orange/rosemary spray works well for us. We spray the yard with citrocide (now Natural Guard) the morning before an event. The label does say it is most effective after it is dry. It appears to work better sometimes more than others, for some reason. Perhaps because dew begins to form in the evening and wets the solution? We provide the v/o/r oil for guest, who love it, btw. Some swear by Skin So Soft and dryer sheets, though I dislike the smell of the former and wouldn’t think of rubbing a dryer sheet on my body. You could provide all three options for quests as one may work better than another for any given person.

I also swallow a crushed clove of garlic 10 minutes before working in the yard, and apply the oil spray. I’ve sat and watched when the mosquitoes were thick and they buzz but don’t land… just like the Deep Woods Off commercial. You could put out a bowl of garlic cloves AND a bowl of mints. :wink: You may have to take more garlic and reapply the spray if you’re out for a long time or are heavily sweating.

Have you considered your landscaping in terms of encouraging or discouraging them? Like thinning trees where the shade is deep; thinning ivy and other ground cover which provides a moist environment that they like (roaches too); cedar mulch in beds; apparently hostas seem to encourage them as well, while plants like lemon grass, citronella geraniums, Agastache cana, Grey Santiolina, garlic, cedar, camphor, eucalyptus, pennyroyal, peppermint, rosemary, thyme, basil, verbena, lavender, etc (lush herb garden) seem to discourage them. Re: roaches- I rented a room in a house that I quickly learned was heavily infested with roaches. I cleaned the room top to bottom with a natural soap to which I'd added rosemary and other essential oils. My nightly ritual was to spray around both door jams with a strong solution of rosemary oil and water. No exaggeration- I never saw a roach in my room, dead or alive.

Keeping the air moving is an excellent deterrent. They don’t like wind. So consider installing a large, powerful outdoor ceiling fan if you have a patio and/or use box fans around the areas where people will be sitting. A fan blowing on the food table is also the best way to deter flies.

I’ve heard that a yellow bug light will discourage them as opposed to a regular bulb-haven't tried it. And that people should refrain from wearing perfume-add this and other suggestions to your invitation. There are mosquito traps but I haven’t tried them. They are pricey, but another apparently effective technique to add to your arsenal if you can afford one. http://www.mosquito.org/MosqInfo/Traps.htm
I also use a bug zapper, inspite of the negative commentary about them. I see lots of dead mosquitoes on mine. Perhaps they are all males, doesn't matter to me. It is decreasing the population which can't be a bad thing.

Encourage mosquito eating allies like bats, wipporwills, purple martins, tree swallows, and frogs. Some sites I’ve visited poo-pooed this, but they are also supporting the use of chemicals. Who knows, but it couldn’t hurt. While they aren’t going to completely eradicate them, in larger numbers they certainly might put a significant dent in the population. Encourage neighbors to do the same. Encourage POAs and cities to put up bat and bird houses around troublesome areas like ponds/marshes and use the dunks. If they aren't open to the dunks, then take it upon yourself. Walk by and toss some in every few days. Enlist your neighbors to do the same or share the expense. We could definitely use more birds and frogs. I rarely see a frog and they were everywhere when I was a kid. I wonder if they could be bred in mass numbers and reintroduced where the populations are low or non existent. My grandson is 10 and he’s seen only 3 frogs in his lifetime.

So, bottomline, one technique is not going to be effective. When it’s mosquito season experiment with many techniques until you strike on the set of techniques that work best for you. I hope you won’t continue to poison yourself and your guests and the environment. :cry: The alternatives maybe time consuming, and/or seem troublesome, but one thing we absolutely know- they aren’t going to sicken or kill humans or other life forms. Sometimes we have to decide to be inconvenienced in order to protect ourselves and others from the undesirable beasties.

Good Luck,
Deborah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:19 pm 

I am a new member, but I do have a suggestion to offer. Since you've already spent close to or over $300, you may want to wait until next year, but there is a device that's powered by propane which you can purchase at Lowe's or Home Depot. It attracts the mosquitoes into it, traps, and kills them. It works great! It, of course, won't get rid of EVERY mosquito out there, but it really does a good job at cutting down their population. You might give it a try!

June R.
Justin, Texas

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next