It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trailing/Weeping Jade
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:34 pm 

I have, what I believe to be, a trailing or weeping jade plant. It has small varigated, fleshy leaves but instead of being an upright plant it's branches are very weepy. (like the difference between an upright rosemary and a trailing rosemary)

Anyway, I've had this jade for several years and it gets a few hour of morning sun on my porch. It's in a pot since I have to bring it in every winter. I water it only once or twice a month since it's s succulent and I don't think it needs any more than that. Here's the problem; over the last year, the limbs are very droopy like DOES need more water but if I do water it, it never seem to recover. Along with the droopy, lifeless limbs, the leaves are very plump. I know it seems that I'm describing the perfect under hydrated scenario but I always heard that you should not water them very often. Please help with my problem, you jade experts out there.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:35 pm 

that should read; the leaves are NOT plump.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:52 am 

So, no one out there has a jade and can tell me how much you water it?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:01 am 

Hi Sandi,
Not sure what problem you are having with your plant, but let's try and id it so we can figure out what it may need. I suspect you have a crassula (jades are crassula).

Is this it - Portulacaria afra 'Variagata'
http://www.collectorscorner.com.au/Cact ... PFS122.JPG

Crassula obliqua 'Variagata' - Variagated Jade
http://web.tiscali.it/rosgiana/schede/c ... bliqua.htm

Crassula ovata 'Variagata' - also variageted jade
http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/26317/

Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:56 am 

It's more like the first. The leaves are very small. I have to take the plant in every winter and the shock of the climate change (I assume) makes it lose a large portion of its leaves. It eventually stabilizes and in the spring I put it back out. It just looks sickly and limp. The branches used to be more like the ones pictures even though it has a weeping form. Lately, the leaves are limp and wrinkly like it needs water. I water it but it doesn't make it look better...they don't plump up.

I just really need to know the best way to care for these beasts, sun and water requirements etc.. since I'm so used to native Texas plants!!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:10 am 

Hi Sandi,
There are sooo many succulents that it might be difficult to figure out which one you have. I spent 1 1/2 hours looking at sites to try and find yours as I was curious as to what it is. They do seem to have some things in common. They like to dry out before watering, don't like to sit in wet, and most prefer full sun of about 6 hours or more.

If the leaves have become wrinkled and it's limp and watering doesn't help, then it was probably overwatered at some point. This could have happened when it was outside and you got alot of rain. I would suggest that you take some cuttings from the tips, or even remove a few leaves that seem the healthiest. Let the cuttings sit in a shady spot for 2 to 4 days (2 for a leaf and 4 for a stem) so it can form a callous on the cut end. Then plant in moist soil. I would recommend a lean soil like something you would use for cactus as they like it lean with good drainage. Let them dry before watering. Don't let them sit in water for more than an hour. Take a look here for propagation info. They recommend letting the plant form a callous for a week or two, but I've found that just a few days is just as good.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/propagation.html

I hope this helps.
Newt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:38 pm 

I have a photo of the one that I hve, but it no longer looks as good as the one in the photo. I need to find it then I'll post it.

My jade is on the edge of the porch and gets no rain. I got 3-4 hours of morning sun, the is in the shade.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:17 pm 

Sandi,
Would love to see the photo!

Newt