It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:23 pm 

Who owns one (or more)? How long have you had it? Do they work? Would you buy again?

I have had an Austin Air unit for @ 5 years. It is a HEPA/activated charcoal filtered unit, made in the USA. Filters are expensive, but it seems to work. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but also would consider a viable alternative for comparison purposes. Based on the infomerical beginnings of the Ionic Breeze and somewhat questionable perceived value of Sharper Image products in general, I am skeptical enough to need a local user with first hand knowledge to make the recommendation before taking the @ $400 plunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:26 pm 

I asked for one last year and was all geared up to try one out, but found through research on the net that their quality is highly suspect. I think most people were happy with their performance but many people have had to return them due to defects. It's been at least 9 months since I looked into them, but it was fairly easy to turn up lots of reviews from people who've owned them. Here's one such site for you.

http://s-2000.com/netdir/Reviews/921.html

If you get one, or find out that the product's been improved upon then let us know! I still want one or something that performs as well and doesn't have conventional filter costs/issues attached to it.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:31 am 

I bought about a year ago and have been pretty pleased. I think they fixed a lot of the earlier problems (for instance, they know how some self-cleaning gadgets on the wires, so you just have to tip the thing upside down to clean the wires) -- we haven't had any problems. The one thing I haven't been thrilled with is that it doesn't cover a very large area. For instance, it did a good job in our master bedroom when I kept it in there, but only so-so in the living room. If I had to estimate the area it covers ... I'd say maybe 400-500 sf well

Personally, I'd probably buy it again -- it's nice having something quiet and unobtrusive, along with the lower energy costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:31 am 

Sharper image sells the re-build units on Ebay. A pretty cheap way to pick one up and try it out. I purchased the small, bathroom size one but was not impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:55 pm 

dcluck,

Thanks for the link. "Interesting" :shock: comments! Only did a quick scan, not post counting, but the negative comments seem to outnumber the positive.

horseranch,

Thank you for your comments. I read it as more neutral than positive or negative.

jrosto wrote:
Sharper image sells the re-build units on Ebay. A pretty cheap way to pick one up and try it out. I purchased the small, bathroom size one but was not impressed.

jrosto,

Price for this type of purchase is secondary to performance and quality. My current unit by Austin Air is not a discount priced item, but it seems to perform well. The Sharper Image products are not discount priced either, but I question their value.

I'm not sure what our current membership numbers are, but with such a small number of responses, I would think that a few more folks would have tried them or known people who have tried them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:45 pm 

I've got the most current report (last updated in 03) on air cleaners that consumer reports has released if you're interested in that info. Their tests didn't show the Ionizer products in a good light for what that's worth.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page that I kinked to in my first post you'll see what appears to be some discussion on the testing methods that CR used and how it pertains to the two Ionizer models tested. Just more info to digest..

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:27 am 

I bought an 'Abionic' off e-bay a couple of months ago and I really like it. It was only about $40 so I bought one to try out and will but another one later. I keep moving it from the front of the house to the back of the house. The most common complaint I saw on their reviews was the shipping from the company..they charge $12.95 per unit...so I figured I'd buy them one at a time..make 'em earn each $12.95..lol. I was quite skeptical about such an inexpensive product comparing itself to Sharper Image's Ionic Breeze but I've been satisified with it and it's easy to clean..no filters, just a little plate you clean about once a month. Their site gives comparisons to other machines. Sorry, i don't have the link anymore but just go to E-bay and search for ABIONIC if you want to check it out. Just to be fair, I also know people that have the Shaper Image Ionic Breeze and love it... it's just way out of my price range! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:31 am 

..i meant i'll 'buy' another one later. should've read over my post...lol