It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: BUTTERFLY PRUNING
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:24 pm 

We have an old fashion Butterfly bush (buddleia), which has been established for 4 years and is blooming it's heart out. Problem is, all the stems are growing straight up (some are more than 8 feet high), with the blooms on the top of the stems. The plant doesn't lack sunlight.

We were told to prune it in mid-Feb., and to trim it back to 18 inches from the ground. That worked okay the first two years, but last year and this year, the bush is growing straight up. What did we do wrong ???

slh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:55 pm 

Hi SLH,
You probably didn't do anything wrong. Buddleia can be variable. You might want to prune it a little more than 18" to more like 12" in February. Here's a site with all kinds of interesting info on buddleia.

http://butterflygardeners.com/buddleia.htm

Newt

Post subject: newt
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:38 am 

A million thanks for your research and knowledge! We enjoyed the web site you recommended = just what we needed to know. Guess we'll get out there with a branch saw in Feb 2005, and cut off those thick trunks to within 12" of the ground.

We delight in watching all the butterflies congregate on the bushes each dinnertime. A little work on the bushes once a year is well worth the enjoyment they provide all summer long.

Again, THANKS.

slh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:13 am 

You are so welcome. I have even found that by deadheading I can keep mine blooming until October if the weather is good. I even have hummers that like to sip the nectar from time to time. Makes for great entertainment!

Newt