It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:18 pm 

Many people overwater their buffalo grass. Buffalo grass care seems to go against our human nature. If the buff isn't looking so good, sometimes what it needs is less water instead of more!

Sometimes people are accustomed to caring for bermuda grass and expect to use the same techniques on the buffalo grass. But to look its best, buffalo grass should be mowed higher and watered less than bermuda grass. Fertilizing buffalo is counterproductive. Buff will never look as green as bermuda grass, because it is a different plant and a different color. Accept buff for what it is (namely, NOT bermuda grass) and treat it right, and it will perform well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:57 pm 

What is the best way to completely remove the bermuda, especially the part that is under the ground? I have had it with that horrible looking lawn!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:08 pm 

Solarization! Works like a charm, especially during the summer. Good luck!

http://www.seedsource.com/garden/grasstips.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:19 pm 

I heard about solarization a couple of years ago, well at least the technique, not the term. I have used it for killing weeds in flower beds prior to planting, I'm embarassed to admit sometimes leaving the plastic on for a year! The project of putting in a new bed has at times taken a back seat to something else so I placed black plastic down to increase the heat and kill the vegetation until I could get around to planting. The use of clear plastic comes as a surprise to me, although I understand the green house comparison.

I have recently purchased 4 acres of land that I want to landscape in a variety of zones with a variety of plants. Until we begin to build our house I hope to establish plants and grasses in areas not threatend by the ensuing construction. This includes an acre or more that might be sodded with Buff. Until this discussion I had not considered "solarization" of such a large area. Thanks for the comment, I will be using this technique as soon as I can determine where the sod will be planted.