It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lab with Yukkie Ear
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:03 am 

Any success with using cornmeal in ears? Lab has had ear problems for years. I put him on the Munster Senior Dog Food 8weeks ago. Has soft stools sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:46 am 

By "yukkie" do you mean ear wax? I have a Boxer which accumulates ear wax, for which I dampen old t-shirt material with apple cider vinegar and swab out the ear.

As for the soft stools, did you gradually switch over to the new feed? Just switching over "cold turkey" may tend to upset the dog's digestive system.

Post subject: Good Dog/Yukkie Ear
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:56 am 

His ear stuff is brown, smells and greasy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:46 pm 

You might visit the vet to be certain, but I think the vinegar will take care of the immediate issue. If after a couple of cleanings the problem persists, then definitely consult your vet.

Dampen the t-shirt (or other soft cotton) material with the vinegar, wrap the cloth around your finger and swap the areas. Turn the cloth to keep a clean surface. I use a bright light to see inside the ear so I can get all areas. Once cleaned, the ear will smell better as well. My Boxer seems to like the sensation of her ears being "scratched".

Let us know the outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:00 pm 

Mr. Clean wrote:
You might visit the vet to be certain, but I think the vinegar will take care of the immediate issue. If after a couple of cleanings the problem persists, then definitely consult your vet.

Dampen the t-shirt (or other soft cotton) material with the vinegar, wrap the cloth around your finger and swap the areas. Turn the cloth to keep a clean surface. I use a bright light to see inside the ear so I can get all areas. Once cleaned, the ear will smell better as well. My Boxer seems to like the sensation of her ears being "scratched".

Let us know the outcome.
I'll give it a go and will let you know how it works. He has some broken skin where he has scratched so hope the vinegar doesn't sting... Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 3:12 pm 

it sounds like an ear infection. Espree has a product called Ear Care that is all natural and works great. My wife uses it at The Groom Shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 8:29 am 

Our dog has the same....it is a yeast infection.....let me know if the cornmeal or vinegar work, I have gone to the vet and the solution he gave me(equivalent to swimmers ear) for a human hasn't seem to work very well in the long run, suppose to put it in every time he swims

Post subject: Dog's ears
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:30 am 

Keeping your dogs ears clean and moisture free will help a great deal. Ear Care made by Espree is very effective in cleaning the dogs ears. It has peppermint and eucalyptus oil in it. If using this product follow the directions, more is not always the best. Make sure the dirty brown residue is not ear mites. Ear mites are very treatable. A drying creme is necessary to keep the inner canal dry. Moisture in the ears is a common factor for ear infections. You can also mix witch hazel and listerine 50/50 to swab the outer ear area. Always remember to be careful of what you are putting in your dogs ears. Do not dig to deep in cleaning for a dogs ear is different from humans. If you take your dogs to a groomer ask them to vent the ear so air can get to it.