It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: getting a start
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:08 pm 

Ok. I juggled some trash bins in my house yesterday. Took the 10 gallon I was using for recycling. Now it's in the back yard. Took a 13 gallon I had sitting around and stuck that in the kitchen for recycling.

So now I have a 10 gallon trashcan (plastic) sitting around in the backyard. A lot of people in my neighborhood mow their lawns but don't bag, so there's grass clippings around to be had. Also, I get to start mowing my lawn. So, seeing as how I'm in North texas, and this is still summer (or what passes for it this year), do I need to worry about this trashcan melting, or anything? I'm given to understand I want to drill some holes in the bottom for drainage...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:38 pm 

hime,

As you stated so well, given the unusualy mild Summer, I don't think you have to worry about the trashcan melting :) Yes, you will need to drill holes, not just in the bottom, but all around the can for aeration. That said, I don't think a 10 gallon trash can is going to allow you much volume; especially if you will be composting grass clippings. It might be a good pre-composting holder before moving the materials to perhaps a "pile". A pile allows you much more flexibility in the amount of materials you can add.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:34 pm 

Well, after I let the heat go out and the gases too, I can take it inside to my worm bin...