It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:29 am 

I'm not sure that this topic technically falls under "Pet Care", but here goes anyway. I've got a Jack Russel terrier puppy that's gotten quite adept at killing the occasional bird in my back yard, especially after a rain or when I've scattered some tasty soil amendment. Early this morning she nabbed her first blue jay and was immediately set upon by two others. Not wanting her to be injured I called her in and took the bird away. The blue jays were raising hell for a good 30 minutes, squaking non-stop.

The problem is that it's been almost three hours now and still they're waiting nearby and attacking her the moment she steps outside. I suspect that they're the ones that have been nesting in one of my oaks in my yard. Anyone have any idea how long blue jays typically hold a grudge? Will they move on to some place safer or will they stay put and plot their revenge? I wouldn't mind seeing them go since they seem to bully the other birds we (wife and I, not the pup) enjoy having in our yard.

~Dave Cluck

Post subject: bluejays
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:07 pm 

If they are nesting, I suspect they will hold a grudge until they are done raising the young. To get rid of this bunch, try using a BB or pellet gun. Sounds cruel but Bluejays are nasty birds that attack any animal and take over other birds' food, etc.

Post subject: Re: bluejays
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:07 am 

KHWOZ wrote:
If they are nesting, I suspect they will hold a grudge until they are done raising the young. To get rid of this bunch, try using a BB or pellet gun. Sounds cruel but Bluejays are nasty birds that attack any animal and take over other birds' food, etc.

I have a real problem with this post. You are applying human expectations and codes of conduct to an animal and then saying it's okay to kill the animal when it doesn't conform to them. Bluejays aren't "nasty" -- they're bluejays and their behavior is hard coded into them. Nature has a beautiful pattern and all of its creatures have their place in that pattern -- even the "nasty" ones. By using organic methods to garden you imply that you have a desire to coexist with Nature and respect her patterns -- not just respect the ones you like and blast to Kingdom Come the ones you don't. Besides, if you're going to attack animal behavior, why not talk about the puppy that has become "adept at killing the occasional bird." That's equally as nasty, so if your logic follows, why not use the pellet gun on the dog?

To keep this on-topic, I agree that the birds will hold the grudge as long as they are nesting. By the time you see this reply, they probably will be long gone. And perhaps an angry bird will help train your puppy that there are consequences to killings birds. She's lucky she didn't go after a mockingbird -- now THEY are really mean!

Long story short, the bluejays probably deserve to hold a grudge. My 2 cents -- your mileage may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:11 am 

Good reply Kathie.

Post subject: nature
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:40 am 

To: kathiec

I hope your blood pressure has gone down by now. All I did was to give a possible solution to being attacked by a critter. I guess you love and allow rabid animals in your area. A wasp nest above your door way that attacks you daily. Some critter that digs your whole yard up. Bugs that eat everything in sight. Coyotes killing your animals. This list could go on forever. Just because something is happening in nature does not mean you have put up with all of it. Also, I didn't say to kill the bluejays. You can run off problems without killing them. By the way, I'll bet that you really get excited when you listen to Howard on the radio (last one I remember was a squirrel issue).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:48 pm 

KHWOZ,

My blood pressure is just fine, but thanks so much for your concern. :roll: Actually I've had wasp nests above doors. I use another door until they're gone. I've had armadillos dig up my yard. My neighbors used your approach -- they went after them with a gun. I found an organic repellent. Guess whose yard they left alone? And I figure the coyotes were here first, so if I had that problem, I'd simple keep my animals where the coyotes couldn't get to them. I'm simply saying that you can live in harmony with nature without pulling out your "I'm the human, I'm superior, bow in front me" approach. I guess it's an alpha male thing -- shoot first and ask questions later. And you never did say why it was okay to shoot the birds but not the dog. I view it as the main cuplrit here.

Post subject: nature reply
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:25 pm 

:? I hope you enjoy your fire ants, ticks, fleas, roaches, etc. They are all God's creatures. Why do we kill them? The ants bite us when we step on their home or the mounds don't look good in our pristine yards, the ticks hurt and spread desease, fleas hurt and bother our pets, roaches are gross. All these creatures have a purpose, yet we kill them and don't have a second thought. Since you have been appointed by God, please send me a list of creatures I can kill so I can be correct in your eyes. :lol: I don't kill or injure anything unless there is no other option. This includes fire ants or other ants; they are benefical and kill fleas etc. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:59 pm 

Alrighty then.. I think you two can just agree to disagree. The birds left after a few days. I'm glad the Jays are gone and I have no desire to see any more of them return - neither do all of the other birds that frequent the area I'm sure. The pup could probably care less. :)

kathiec wrote:
And you never did say why it was okay to shoot the birds but not the dog. I view it as the main cuplrit here.

I'll take issue with this statement though. Just like the jays are what they are, so is the dog. Some animals are hunters and Jack Russels were bred to be just that. I simply wanted to know if there was going to be a prolonged period where the pet I choose to have in my yard would be at risk. Had that been the case I'd have taken steps to rid myself of the birds that I did not choose to reside there.

In any case thanks for the concern everyone.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:21 pm 

Kathiec,

I'll be sure to let my 8 cats know that they will now have to become vegetarians and tell my 60 chickens that they can no longer eat grasshoppers because that's just plain mean. :lol:

banot

P.S. Did you ever wonder if there was a reason that the Creator gave people teeth strongly resembling those of meat-eating animals...though I'm sure that was a mistake. :lol:

Post subject: coexisting with nature
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:43 pm 

First of all, I'm pretty sure coyotes are NOT native to the tall grass prairie of the Metroplex, and they only came after the people did, bringing in their tasty housecats and garbage. I know in Young county, where I was raised, they ARE native, but we have a LOT more coyotes now than we did before 1972 when screwworms were eradicated (I know, screwworms are God's chillun, too). Also more deer and turkey.
Second, I figure I can coexist with nature, but since I'm the one with reason, opposable thumbs, and a VISA card, nature can dern well be induced, to reasonable extent, to coexist with me.
kathiec wrote:
KHWOZ,

And I figure the coyotes were here first, so if I had that problem, I'd simple keep my animals where the coyotes couldn't get to them. I'm simply saying that you can live in harmony with nature without pulling out your "I'm the human, I'm superior, bow in front me" approach. I guess it's an alpha male thing -- shoot first and ask questions later. And you never did say why it was okay to shoot the birds but not the dog. I view it as the main cuplrit here.