It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:37 pm 

Most advice I hear says that we should keep Bermuda short to promote a stronger root base as well as increasing the spread to "take over". My problem is; when I cut it lower than 2.5 inches, I have severe browning because it just cuts it too short. I'm not sure exactly what king of Bermuda it is, it was put in when we built our home in September.

I've tried sharpening my blades but I still brown up bad and it takes a week and a lot of water to recover.

How do I get it an inch thick without that scalped look?

Thanks, Jim...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:35 pm 

Jim,

How frequently are you mowing? How fast is the grass growing? If you are removing a large part of the blade, you will see that lower on the blade might not be as green as the top part of the blade. As you gradually lower your cutting, I believe that you will see the green lower on the blade. If your grass is growing vigorously as a result of the rains, you may need to mow more frequently than once every 7 days.

As far as watering, with all the rain we have had, I can't see adding anymore water. If you do water, try to go at least 7 days before watering and then give it a good slow drink. I'm sure you've read about the 1" watering measuring. Follow that. I have not watered my lawn at all this year. I have St. Augusting, Bermuda, and Tall Fescue.