It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:09 am 

I live in Spring, Texas, a suburb just north of Houston. I have re-sodded one area of my yard (200 sq. ft.) a couple of times now. The second time being as recent as two months ago, and it's already dying again. I would be suspicious of the sod itself, but other areas I sodded are doing fine. The grass in the problem area slowly thins out until theres nothing but thatch left. Today, I noticed some mushrooms growing among the thatch, but it's been raining for over a week straight.

The dead pach is along the sidewalk in the front of my house, so my first suspicion was chinch bugs. I have treated with different pesticides to no avail. My second thought is that it is due to over watering. I have a gutter drain that runs out onto that portion of the sidewalk from a flower bed so the water runs down the driveway. Could this be causing the "over watering", if that's a possible culprit? If that were the case, wouldn't the other gutter drain areas of my house have the same problem? The rest of my yard is green and healthy, it's just this one problem area.

If anyone is interested in helping, I would be willing to take a couple of photo's of the problem area and emailing them.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:31 am 

Photos? We don't need no stinkin' photos! :D

You have a fungal disease in that spot. The disease will kill all the grass you put in there. Apply ordinary corn meal at a rate of 2 pounds per 100 square feet and give that 3 weeks to work. Then put your new sod in and apply more corn meal at the same rate. That should clear it up.