It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:32 pm 

A few years ago I bought a wooden bird feeder that I mounted on a pole and now has a beautiful weathered look. It is big enough to accomodate many birds on 4 sides at one time. It will also accomodate 2 squirrels at one time which I don't really mind because I like them too.

I went on vacation for a couple of weeks during which time the feeder ran dry. This apparently pissed-off the squirrels and they decided to chew-up the feeder. Now, the feeder has to be repaired because it won't dispense feed in its current condition.

I was wondering if anyone has discovered anything that I can soak the wood with that will keep the squirrels from eating it :?:

As I said I like the squirrels so I'm not really trying to keep them out of the feeder. I just want to keep them from eating the feeder. Also, I don't like the look of a metal feeder but will resort to one if I have to. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:11 pm 

Maybe an application of hot pepper tea would do the trick. You would need to repeat the application as it wears off. It would be more feasable to purchase a metal feeder. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:48 am 

Thanks Nadine. It would be easy enough to take a sprayer out to the feeder every time I fill it. I will give that a try.

I read on some other post that someone had squirrels eating their pepper plants. Hopefully they won't just consider the hot pepper spray a pleasant change to the menu. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:14 pm 

To add to Nadine's idea, maybe you could soak the wood in a very hot, concentrated pepper solution. Maybe a double strength Habenaro solution. This way you could avoid spraying the feeder every time & possibly getting the spray in your eyes. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:52 pm 

I did not think abouth that. I have to rebuild that part of the feeder anyway so, I will just soak it before putting it back together. Thanks for the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:03 pm 

Maybe you need to "relocate" your little pets---I bought a live trap (about 8" square by 24" long), I use bird seed in an old plastic butter cup for bait. So far since May 1 I've trapped 31 squirrels in my yard--I take them about 2 miles out in the country and release them. I've still got quite a few around, but they're not eating up my bird feeders like they were. Any kind of fruit is also a good bait with the birdseed.

The trap cost about $15---less than a good feeder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:28 pm 

Wow...I can't believe you had so many! Of course, I probably have more than what I think (3-4).

My hat's off to you. Sounds like too much work to me. :shock: I think I would buy a new feeder first.

Post subject: Keep the feeder full
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:33 pm 

I had a similar problem, every time the feeder ran out of feed the squirrels would smell the empty container and start chewing the corners next to the glass. I havn't had any fresh chewings since I bought some more feed.

PS the squirrels from the traps are probably the same ones that migrate back home before you can drive back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:49 pm 

Maybe, but I don't think so---they would have to cross a four lane busy hiway to get back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]