It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:36 pm 

HarryGardner,

We also sing the praises of the Espree pet products! We use the Citrusil Plus Shampoo and the Citrusil Spray.

Naturally,

I generally agree with most of what I read from Dr. Weil, and in my early days of organic mania I also bought into the statement
Quote:
Healthy dogs (can we say pets?) are not attractive to fleas.
. However, I now know this statement to be untrue. Our she-boxer is the picture of health...she is in her mid-life years (6), eats a semi-premium dog food (Nutro's Natural Choice Lamb & Rice - granted not a BARF diet as Dr. Weil may be suggesting) that is additionally supplemented with Flax Oil, and a brewer's yeast and garlic tablet, and she gets in her exercise. Her physical presence portrays her health. She is trim and tuat (without being "skinny") her beautiful coat draws constant comments. She is a beautiful person/pet.

As for the heartworm medicine. I don't waver for a moment. Both dogs we have had as part of our family took a hearworm preventative. Until there is widespread documented evidence of an alternative, I will continue with on that path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:41 am 

So Mr. Clean,

Which products do you use for Flea/Heartworm preventative?

I have heard of Espree products, I'll have to look them up.

Thanks!

Post subject: Flea Control
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:29 pm 

Just had to add my 2 cents worth here! Something I learned from the old timers down in those deep east Texas piney woods. 20 Mule Team Borax ( the laundry additive) works wonders! It can be applied anywhere you DON'T want fleas! On pets, carpet, yard, furniture, etc. Plus, it is natural (kid friendly,too), has always worked for me, and a lot cheaper than any other remedy I have ever tried. My dogs even know it works, because when I go to do my annual spring dusting with it, they will come up to me and stand there patiently while I dust them!

Hope it works as well for you :wink:

Note: Come springtime in Nacogdoches, it is hard to find a box of the stuff left on the grocers shelf!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:18 pm 

Ducky1,

First of all Welcome to the forum(s). Second, I like your ID as a longtime member of Ducks Unlimited, I like all things "ducky" :lol:

Congratulations on a nice first post. I am a regular user of 20 Mule Team Borax for laundry needs, though I haven't used it for pet grooming. Do you feel there are any reasons for concerns regarding respiratory issues due to it's dusty nature? I know some use DE for dusting their pets, but I hesitate becausing of the skin drying effects.

Post subject: 20 Mule Team
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:47 pm 

Well hello Mr. Clean,
How nice of you to roll out the welcome mat! I feel right at home. My ID came from what the grandkids call me.

Pardon my oversight on omitted info. Let me see if I can shed a little more background light:

My dogs were 13 & 14 years old when they died, and until I moved to the big city of Ft. Worth, neither one had any health problems, so I believe it is safe to say that the dust factor was negiligable. As for dry skin issues, neither one had a problem with that either. As far as I'm concerned, there is no better alternative and until an expert comes along to prove to me that there is a danger, I will continue to recommend it with the utmost confidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:44 pm 

Ducky1,

Thanks again for the recommendation. As you described, it is a recommendation which comes with a nice long history of success. Since I always have a supply handy, I will give it a try when (and if) the fleas present themselves again.

So far, we are past thirty days from our first (and only) application of FrontLine. Checking her daily, we have not found any fleas. Our original intention was to only use the Frontline when necessary, rather than a prventative. I will be happy if I never have to apply the remaining two doses, but if the organic approaches fail, I won't hesitate to apply again. I feel that I owe that to our pet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:16 am 

Ducky 1

How do you apply the borax on your pets? My dog will lick up anything in site and I am afraid of her ingesting it. Will it hurt her. She is a licking maniac!! Also, by dusting your furniture (upholstered, I assume :wink: ), doesn't it leave a funny residue on the fabric?? Does it get soapy if it gets damp?

Would really like to try this way with our dog for the flea problem before they really get imbedded in our home, but am a little hesitant as to how to apply! :?

Thanks!

Muggsybaby