It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:27 am 

Hello all... Glad a friend gave me this web site... I had a question about the type of lawn I should put in if I purchase the house my wife and I are thinking about...

This house is located in Midlothian, Texas. The house sits on an 1 ac lot. The house and front yard take up the front 1/3 of the lot so the back yard is very large and takes up 2/3 of the lot. There are currently no trees and no front or back yard in place(just weeds and dirt).

I was going to have a sprinkler systems put in the front and part of the back yard(Maybe all of the back yard... I noticed one of the houses next to this house had some sprinkler heads near the back part of his back yard that had a wide spray range... Anyway thats another topic)

Anyway back to my main question.... What would be the best grass to put in both the front and back yard that I would not go broke having to water too much..

One Idea a friend gave me was to maybe do the front yard in Bermuda and the back in buffalo grass???

At some point I wanted to plant some trees in the back.

Anyway I know nothing about lawns so I appreciate any advice you can give me...

p.s. I notice the house on the other side of me did like the front 1/3 of their back yard in some type of grass and then just left the other 2/3 of the back yard with mowed wild grass and weeds... It actually looks ok and you could not tell the back was wild grass and weeds until you walked up real close to it....

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:10 am 

Hello Kuroth;

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry that no one has responded to your post yet. Buffalo grass is a great idea for both the front and back yards. Mow 2 or 3 times a year and very little watering. If I were putting in a new lawn, that is what I would use. After Buffalo Grass, I would recommend St. Augustine. I have a St. Augustine yard at home and a mixed St. Augusting/Bermuda at work. The St. Augustine is looking much better than the Bermuda and is quickly taking over now that I have switched to organics. I also have a 1/4 acre patch of mixed native grasses at work that get no water at all. This plot looks very good. At the top of this lawn forum you will see a couple topics on the pluses for various grasses. There is some great information in there. I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:15 am 

Thanks for the info Jrosto...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:24 am 

We just bought a 1 acre lot in Ellis County between Midlothian and Waxahachie. Because of water issues, I chose bermuda. I wanted to try Buffalo, but there are some "issues" you may want to look into, and sodding is very expensive. I sodded the bermuda directly in front of the house, but I'm leaving about a 20' x 150' strip next to the street that will be a combination of native plants and wildflowers. It already has some Greenthread, Prairie Verbena, Bluebonnets and Firewheel that were there naturally, so I would recommend these for seeding in our Caliche-type soil. I don't really want to mow the bar ditch, so that will be wildflowers as well. To keep the bermuda from invading the natives, I've used a stone border between. In the backyard, I sodded St. Augustine because we have too much shade for bermuda.

On the sprinkler heads, you may be seeing your neighbors septic wastes being dispersed. There are usually 2 heads going when the system kicks on. Kent