It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:45 am 

We have a fairly new house built last winter so the ground was fairly compacted and they brought in sandy loam for the bermuda sod they laid down. Since we moved in, in March, I have applied soil activator (in March), CGM + molasses (in April) and CGM + lava sand + green sand (earlier this month) and it gets doused with compost tea twice a month before I water. My grass is growing very well in most areas with very little in the way of weeds. However, I have a couple of areas that are flat. The grass in these areas is only maybe a half of an inch tall (the rest of the yard is about two inches high). Does anyone know what is causing this? And, how can we fix this problem? I wish I could say that it was just a high traffic area but this is also occuring where there is no traffic at all.

Christina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:59 am 

If the lawn is young then it is still establishing itself, so be a little more patient, rome was not built in a day.

However, if you want to kick start the patches, top dress the areas with a generous amount of good compost. You will be amazed at how fast it will fill in, I use and gaurantee Back to Nature Flower Bed Conditioner Compost (this kind is fine screened for top dressing, don't let the name mislead you!)

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:10 pm 

How much CGM per 1000 square feet do you apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:10 pm 

Hmmm, if I remember correctly we used two forty pound bags in the spring and used one bag in the early summer. I did use a mechanical aerator ( upside down u-shaped thingy with two holes in it) and put lots of little holes in the area. It was badly compacted - but I don't get how as they put down the sandy loam right before they laid the sod. Anyway, after that I filled in the holes partially with zeolite, then added some compost on top of that in the holes and as a topdressing and watered it all heavily compost tea. The area is now green :) and my hubby thinks it might just be a tad bit taller. I guess aeration might be the key.

Oh, just this weekend I added two bags of Humore (humate plus alfalfa), some more molasses and some green sand. :) I should have a happy yard - aside from being brown where we keep trying to mow it shorter.

Hugs, Nina