It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Aerobic Septic System
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:43 am 

We have recently bought a new home and it has an aerobic septic system with three stages and then when the last tank is full it spays the water, suppose to be able to drink it on the lawn. It has a wick system that you are suppose to pour bleach into to help control mold, etc. I was wondering if I could use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach? Do anyone have any info on this type of system?

Thanks

bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:57 pm 

I am unfamiliar with this type of system, but I do know that hydrogen peroxide is an excellent substitute for bleach. You might look into getting the more concentrated type (35%), but do be careful as it can burn. It can be diluted with distilled water, too.

Have you done a search on Google.com for environmentally friendly products for use with such a system? You might also wish to check the "Home Care" forum for more good information:

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2050
:wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:32 pm 

I agree with Bluestem. Please put the chlorine tablets in the pipe because if you don't your neighbors will either let you know or turn you in. Also the smell is of raw sewage when the sprinklers are running. Also you have to have it inspected once a year by a licensed inspector and one copy of the report is sent to the county to show it was done. I elected to not go with the aerobic system for the above mentioned reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:37 pm 

We purchased a house in south Kaufman County, it is an older home that used to have a standard sptic system but since it was waterfront and in the process of being sold the county told the sellers it is now law that all waterfront property must have an arobic tank installed prior to a sale and all new dwellings must have arobic systems. It is expensive but a good idea to keep the lake water clean, undesirables leaching through and possibly getting in to the water I guess . We do have to have a licensed company come and exam the system at least once a year and if there is any problem during the year we contact them for repair service. A copy of our contract has to go to the county and must be renewed each year. We also have to put clorine in it to prevent the odors (which as mentioned above is a good idea)and it has an electric pump that runs 24/7. It is a three cycle tank system and is suppose to be 99% clean when it exits the tubes in the ground from the last tank. I would also like to see if there is something else that might be more environmental friendly than the clorine but this is what they said we should use. Actually so far (we've lived here almost four years) we have not noticed any adverse affects.
Anyone else out there with any information on this topic please share with us.
Hope this helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:38 pm 

We purchased a house in south Kaufman County, it is an older home that used to have a standard sptic system but since it was waterfront and in the process of being sold the county told the sellers it is now law that all waterfront property must have an arobic tank installed prior to a sale and all new dwellings must have arobic systems. It is expensive but a good idea to keep the lake water clean, undesirables leaching through and possibly getting in to the water I guess . We do have to have a licensed company come and exam the system at least once a year and if there is any problem during the year we contact them for repair service. A copy of our contract has to go to the county and must be renewed each year. We also have to put clorine in it to prevent the odors (which as mentioned above is a good idea)and it has an electric pump that runs 24/7. It is a three cycle tank system and is suppose to be 99% clean when it exits the tubes in the ground from the last tank. I would also like to see if there is something else that might be more environmental friendly than the clorine but this is what they said we should use. Actually so far (we've lived here almost four years) we have not noticed any adverse affects.
Anyone else out there with any information on this topic please share with us.
Hope this helps a little. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:56 pm 

I am in Flower Mound at the edge of Lake Grapevine and we have a 3 tank system as described above. The town requires a report once a year. We have a contract with a company out of Alvarado who inspects it once a quarter and files the appropriate report with the town. Our system is 7 years old and we use the chlorine tabs. The grass around the sprinklers doesn't suffer and around one of the sprinklers out in the pasture is a large stand of cattails...a bit puzzling. Although with proper care the systems work good, I'd rather have the whole thing underground, but the old drainfield system we had was a mess most of the time before we had this one put in. I've dug around on the web for information about the system and other than quite a few technical documents from various water quality government resources haven't found anything.

Based on our experience it is important to have a service company that knows what they are doing...the first one we had didn't and we had some problems with odor....we changed companies and all is well.

Here is a little information on the system we have

http://www.epa.gov/region1/assistance/c ... robic.html

Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:02 am 

Thanks for all the inputs, guess I will stick with the bleach at least for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:42 pm 

I wonder if this might be worth a try:
http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2308
Microbes can kick some major forces when it comes to getting rid of bad odors. I use a biologically active solution on places where my neurotic cat sometimes goes tt. It works wonders when you do it right!
Or contact Nor_It. They have activated carbon for many different applications! :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach