It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ring worm in puppies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:43 am 

I have had new born puppies get ring worm in their system when they were 5 days old on 2 occasions from different sources. The 1st time over a year ago took 8 months and over $800 in vet meds to cure. I am in my 4th month this time and still no cure but working better with different method. Puppies are yorkies and weighed less than 1/2 a lb. at beginning.
Are up to 3 lbs. now and on oral meds which will take about 3 months to work if like before. Can cornmeal be used? You can't soak a puppy for an hour or 2 like your feet! Any success with any natural products? Size and age of puppies has been biggest problem for vet remedies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:14 pm 

Maybe someone in the Forum has had more experience, but I would think a simple cornmeal dip or rinse would be effective. Since most all disease and insect problems are related to nutrition, Muenster Natural dogfood should also help. If you are using some other dog food, add natural diatomaceous earth to the puppies' food (it should comprise 2% of the volume of the food) daily and use the Missing Link as a supplement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:26 pm 

The puppies got ringworm inside their systems when I had their tails docked and dewclaws removed at 5 days old. They were about 2 weeks old when it surfaced and covered about 30% of their bodies immediately mostly stomach and legs. They only had mother's milk for a month so I could not add anything to their diet in the begining. They also weighed less than 1 lb. The mother dog never got ring worm. One other adult dog did but one or 2 applications of medicated cream cleared it up in about a week. The problem is the fungus entered their bodies through an open wound making it not responsive to conventional treatment. My vet is stumped we used every product he said should work. Regular ringworm is simple to cure but when it gets inside it lingers and reappears over and over again when treatment is discontinued.I did try a cornmeal bath/dip when they were about 2 months old. I let it sit on them for only 10 minutes and they looked like they were ready to be deep fried so I didn't do it again. I need to know how often to do it and how long to soak them to make it work if it will work - for foot fungus it says soak for 2 hours once a week!
I have used Munster's in the past and my dogs would not eat it no matter how I tried to serve it- I finally fed it to my chickens- they liked it. I feed Eukanuba and a varity of canned food. Most of my dogs are very small and will eat only very small nuggets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:36 pm 

My wife has had good luck with cornmeal for ringworm on the outside. D.E. will help for internal parasites of all types. You might also try Missing Link.

Post subject: ringworm
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:24 pm 

Thanks
Exactly how does your wife apply the cornmeal and how often?
I use Missing Link, Flea and Tick B Gone, am re-introducing Munsters, but they still not liking it. I really have only the ring worm problem in 2 out of 10 dogs! I am using oral Grifulvin which is also used for people. It worked before, it just takes 30 days 2x a day then I wait 2 to 3 weeks to see if it reappears then 30 days again - whew!

Post subject: Corn Meal use
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 4:18 am 

There is a couple of ways to do the cornmeal treatment. You can make a corn meal juice by soaking the cornmeal for about an hour, strain, and then apply the cornmeal juice to the affected area. Or soak the cornmeal and use as a poultice.