It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hydrangeas
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:04 am 

Two years ago we bought an older home and there was a hydrangea . We moved in May but it didn't bloom that year. Last year it bloomed and was beautiful. This year it only has one bloom. Is there something I need to be doing to encourage blooming?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:58 pm 

I think if they are overwatered they won't bloom well. My mom had a nice one in Dallas, but it is finished blooming for the summer.

Hopefully someone else will chime in, I've never grown them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:57 pm 

Did you prune it? And, if so, how much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:56 pm 

No, I did not prune it. Am I supposed to? Thanks for the response.
Wanda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:53 am 

Hydrangeas. Oh how beautiful if we can just figure them out. I grew them like weeds when I lived in Coastal Georgia. I think I finally figured them out for this area (Wylie, TX). I started with the basic mop head variety and bought some Oakleaf. Althought the Oakleaf has a pretty leaf, I 'm not as happy with the bush, itself. But I will still have an occassional no bloomer. Blooms might have been killed during an early frost and you didn't even know that you had one. I have them on the east side of my house, under a Japanese Maple. They like it there very well. The don't like the heat of the day, so try to keep the soil covered deep with mulch to keep the dirt cool. The leaves tend to curl a little bit and get brown tips, when we have very hot days. As soon as the cold weather has gotten them, cut them back to the ground, and cover them lightly with mulch. Try to protect them from growing too early if you have a late warm day in the winter. They could set buds and then we are hit with a frost again. A great reason for no blooms. You will see wonderful spurts of growth in late spring. By June, they should be fairly large with huge flowers. Depending on the ph of the soil will dictate pink or blue blooms. When the flower is spent, cut it off. We trim occassionally just for looks. We fertilize with any organic method and add some acid to the soil. We also collect everygreen mulch when gardeners are piling in up on the roadside in posh Dallas neighborhoods. A really fun website for Hydrangeas is: http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:21 pm 

I asked if you pruned the hydrangea because a lot of people make the mistake of pruning them very heavily and then don't have any, or very few, blooms the next year. Most hydrangeas bloom on "old wood" which is the prior year's growth.

I checked out the website that old girl 54 provided and it looks pretty informative. It should help you figure out what type of hydrangea you have and how to care for it.