It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:11 am 

One of my dogs, when stressed, her stomach gets extremely tight and uncomfortable for her. She pants continuously because of the discomfort or pain. Is there something organic or natural that I can give to her to help relieve her discomfort? From past experience we know not to let this continue for any length of time, she had gotten extremely ill the first time this occurred. We massage her stomach and that relieves it somewhat but I'm looking for something to give her when that doesn't help to completely relieve it.

Thank you
SB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:38 am 

It sounds like she's in a positive feedback loop -- stress causes her stomach pain, which in turn stresses her. I'd give her rescue remedy in her water to reduce the stress.

Judith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 pm 

I agree about the loop. The first time that we became aware her problem she was bleeding analy, not just went she went to the bathroom either. Our vet had us put her on rice and broth(unsalted) and we were gradually able to add chicken.

What is rescue remedy and where would I find it? I have 3 other dogs, would it have undesireable effects for them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:47 pm 

Have you tried the Muenster dog food?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:58 pm 

SB wrote:
What is rescue remedy and where would I find it? I have 3 other dogs, would it have undesireable effects for them?

Whole Foods has it. You also might try slippery elm, but as with the rr, you probably will have to administer it individually to assure that the affected animal gets the dose.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:12 am 

Yes, we switched to Muenster about 2 mos. ago after reading about it on this board and after some research of my own. I pick up some Rescue Remedy last night to try the next time she has such difficulties.

Thanks to all!
SB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:07 am 

Quote:

You may want to administer it individually, just because of the expense, but RR won't have any bad effects if all 3 dogs drink it. One option would be to give it to your dog as a preventative, maybe once a week -- I use it that way on myself, whenever I know I'm heading for a stressful week :)

Judith

Post subject: How about Valerian?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:41 pm 

Let me suggest you research a little on valerian root as a way to calm your dog. I know it is used successfully as a calming agent for some dogs as well as horses. There is information on the web about it, and it's easy to obtain. It's a plant extract and is very mild.

I have never had the need to use it on my pets, but my daughter has used it to fight her sleep disorder for almost 10 years, with great success and no side effects. I have used it myself instead of muscle relaxers after stress or injury. Read up on it and I think you'll see some promise.

Hope that is helpful to you. Poor doggy! :D

Kathe