It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: St. Augustine/runners
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:14 pm 

I'm in yr. 3 of living in my new home. Year one I plugged St. Augustine in because my dogs don't like bermuda. :roll: Yeah, I know, I'm nuts.

Anyway, it has taken hold really good...spread well...but this year runners are sorta staying on top? What is the problem?

I happen to be one of those who uses an electric mower, yard is postage stamp size. :) Could it be the blades need sharpening? I've had St. Augustine in my other yard for 20+ years and didn't have this problem. I know it's not lack of rain. I live in Rockwall and along with Dallas, we've had plenty of rain.

Any suggestion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:31 am 

I don't have an answer to your question, I'm just curious how your dogs told you they don't like Bermuda. I don't think you're nuts, the main reason I switched to organic lawn care is because of my dogs, they eat grass all the time.

Just one comment on your grass, you do know to mow it high, right? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:54 am 

ziggy wrote:
I don't have an answer to your question, I'm just curious how your dogs told you they don't like Bermuda. I don't think you're nuts, the main reason I switched to organic lawn care is because of my dogs, they eat grass all the time.

Just one comment on your grass, you do know to mow it high, right? :wink:

:P My oldest dog would walk very easily...sorta like they do thru snow or ice...and do her job and run back in...would not lay out in the sun. Now, she walks normal :) and will lay in the sun, on the grass.

And yes, I know the right height... lol

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:06 pm 

From my experience, it is normal for St. Augustine to put the runners on top when it is growing very fast. Sometimes if you don't mow often enough, it seems to aggravate the situation. Just mow them off, no problem. You can also cut the loose runner and sprig it into an area that needs more grass, they take off & grow well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:40 pm 

KHWOZ wrote:
Quote:
You can also cut the loose runner and sprig it into an area that needs more grass, they take off & grow well.

I'm fascinated by this and want to try it. Could you give more detail on what you mean when you say sprig it into an area?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:53 pm 

Just find the end of the runner and gently pull it up as far as you can/want to, breaking the fine roots it lays down. Then, point it to the direction you want it to head and thread it under a few pieces of grass, just like sewing with a needle. I usually dump a glass of water on it then too.

I have also dug our small chunks of runners and "potted" them in other areas of bare dirt.

Works great! :wink: