It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sickly Burr Oak - Help
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:08 pm 

Help. I have a Burr Oak that was planted in March of 2003 by a reputable nursery. We had a hot spell here in central Texas and it lost leaves, I was told to water and mulch which I did. I thought it had died, but new leaves came out this Spring. Unfortunately, about the same time as it did it last year, the leaves are starting to yellow and fall. We have had quite a bit of water this Spring and Summer so far. Now they tell me it is too much water. We have clay soil and lots of rocks but the other Burr Oaks in my neighborhood are doing well. Help!!! Also, the leaves have never turned that pretty characteristic dark green. They have stayed kind of light and puny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:56 pm 

First thing to check is to see if it was accidentally planted too deep. See if the root flare is exposed or not. If not (hence it looks like a pole sticking out of the soil rather than showing the broadening flare at the beginning of the root ball) then it's too deep and needs to have some soil removed.

Next, compare how it was planted to the planting guide at the top of this forum.

Also, what have you been feeding it and the lawn around it?

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:13 pm 

I bought a 8 foot tall bur oak in may for 12 bucks from Wally world. It was weak and sickly looking when I bought it, but since planting, it has perked up some and sprouted many new leaves. My only concern now is that the leaves are not the characteristic dark green shade that you described. I too have made sure the root flair is exposed, and have dumped probably three gallons of anarobic compost tea on it, and laid some mulch down around the drip line. I'm hoping it will green up eventually, but nothing yet. Is it possible some bur oaks are just a lighter shade of green than others? Other than that, the tree seems to be making a healthy recovery, and the 10 inches of recent rain hasn't seemed to hurt it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:06 pm 

dogwind, yours is probably fine, especially for a first-year-in-the-ground tree.

Just keep up the organic maintenance and watch what it does next year- certain to be more impressive. Don't forget the foliar feed now and then.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.