It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Composting newbie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:12 pm 

Hi everyone. I've read through as many of the wonderfully informative composting threads as I can and I just want to be sure I am on the right track. We are just getting started on our organic gardening adventure and are going to try our hand at composting in trash cans (thanks for the thread with that idea). I need to have 2/3 brown to 1/3 green, right? We have lots of cleanup to do on our property so there are plenty of dead oak leaves and palm fronds in addition to pine needles. All of these are browns, correct? For greens I'll just be adding things like vegetable scraps, eggshells, grass clippings, leaves from limbs and branches we trim, etc., right?

Another question.... where does seaweed come into play? We are on the coast so I have access to tons of seaweed. I can get it straight out of the ocean so it's "fresh" for lack of a better term or off the beach where it's all brown and dried out. Any difference between the two?

Thanks for your help! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:25 am 

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:32 am 

The approximate ratio is 50:50 browns to greens but it depends a lot on what are the major browns and greens you're using. Your ratio is okay,it just might be slower and cooler,in which case you can always add more greens and it'll be fine. Adjusting a pile that has too much greens is more difficult.

Fresh seaweed is definitely a 'green'. Dried seaweed I believe would be more of a brown,somewhat like dried leaves. In either case,rinse it well and don't overdo it because of the sodium content. Which is a pity because it is very rich in nutrients.

Eggshells are neither a brown nor a green but will add calcium to the pile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:08 pm 

Welcome Waverider to composting! My question is actually for Blackforest. Why is it difficult to adjust a pile that has too much greens? I keep putting shredded newspaper in between my layers of green hoping i'm getting enough brown. Now I'm worried. Thanks Deb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:43 am 

Debby,if it seems fine to you,it is:). I was referring to odour problems that originate from excessive usage of high-moisture,high nitrogen material that takes time to rectify because the air/water ratio has to be balanced. With too many browns,all one has to do is add greens and let it compost.
Newspaper is fine as a brown but if you can find something more nutritious (leaves),that'd work better.