It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: peach tree woes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:53 pm 

The recent storms all but destroyed my two peach trees breaking all but three of the main limbs. The unbroken ones are the tallest and most upright. I know I need to prune back the damage, however that will essentially result in topping the whole trees. The diameter of the breaks are 3 to 5 inches. There is also some growth below, but short and small. what can I do to accomplish this? I might as well prune the remaining limbs also since I can never seem to get the fruit at the top anyway. They are about 15+ ft. high.
unklmike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:56 pm 

I forgot. The trees are older. I've been in this house 9 years and they were well established at that time. The trunks are about 12" in diameter at grounl level above the root flair.
unklmike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:57 am 

I would only prune where you find bad breaks that are torn in such a way they could start rotting- just pruning for clean cuts.

The tree trunk goop won't be needed unless you have gashes that look like they will invite pests and disease. Nasty wound to the trunk, etc.

Don't prune anything that doesn't absolutely need it, since the tree will need all the limb space possible to grow new foliage to support itself.

I would treat the whole area with the sick tree treatment in order to give it the best possible chance of survival. The more you give it opportunities to get good nutritional support, the better. Also, when I find a tree damaged by storms, I tend to go a little heavy on the seaweed in the foliar feed for a while- there's stuff in there that really helps in limb health and root stimulation.

Hope this helps.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:10 pm 

Ent, Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Unklmike