It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greetings from Venus
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:13 pm 

:) yes, it sometimes seems like we live on another planet out here...lol
it is pure black clay..used for years to plant cotton...and NO trees. Kinda like livin' in a bowl. right on the edge of the blackland strip and the grand prairies. If it rains every where else, it prolly didn't here and vice versa. But we r tryin', i have planted upwards of 20 trees since i moved out here 10 yrs ago. some made it, some didn't...some I insisted. :wink: some i still don't have. I have a hard time with Fire ants, who doesn't, fleas, no ticks (no trees), grasshoppers and wind.
We have all kinda critters and plants and wouldn't change it for the world.
Well...except maybe when it rains and all that black mud just stays right with ya. U walk outside and gain 10lbs...per foot.
Was great to finally find all ya'll.....hope to be a help or at least a shoulder to the group...:))
Vicky

Post subject: HOWDY
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:45 am 

Vicky,

Sorry for takeing so long to give you a welcome to the DirtDoctor and the Ground Crew so......WELCOME.

I've moved your post over to the Tree Forum so you get more hits there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:38 pm 

You really did get some wind recently, we have family buried at Venus.
We visited a couple weeks ago to see numerous trees blown down. I hope you get yours up and doing well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:16 am 

:D Hi...how r u? We did lose a tree...a redbud, a section of fence, and power for about 6-7 hours. But other than that we came thru fine. Seems like nearly everybody out here lost a tree or a piece of one :( and in this area we just don't have enough trees as it is....lol But we can count ourselves fortunate in this last storm. Especially since all thosse people in Arlington and Ft. Worth got it so bad.

Post subject: No Trees
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:38 pm 

The area you live in was farm land many years ago(30-40), I used to hunt the grain fields around Venus. It has really populated since then.

Sorry for the reminising, I just built a new home in Brazos Co. The land is similar to Venus, heavy clay. Any tips on your sucesses will be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:30 pm 

actually it was farm land a lot longer ago than that.
b4 the depression Venus was actually the "cotton capitol of the world" with 4 working gins. Talk about suckin all the life out of the land....lol They came all the way from Europe to buy cotton here. In 1940 Congress passed a law that Texas cotton farmers had to reduce their cotton crop to 40%. They had to start planting wheat, maize, oats, rye and corn.
We had the first college in the area, Burnetta college (1896)...right on the square, if u can imagine that, :) it also had a 35 room dorm on Hickory street. We also had some beautiful victorian homes. They were mostly torn down during the depression and the following war for wood.
We also had 2 railroads coming thru and the Santa Fe RR ran 6 trains a day thru here.
Our ground is Blackland Prairie, a small(about 8 miles wide) strip that slopes to the eastern foot of the Austin Chalk escarpment. Said to b the richest land in the area...perfect for cotton but not much else... :D
That was prolly more than u ever wanted to know huh?

I have planted beau coup trees...sycamore, silvermaple, pecan, cottonless cottonwood, redbud, golden rain and live oak. Those r the ones still living. My roses do OK (but they r not in raised beds with all those amendments, they r just in the ground) as long as they get regular water, also salvias, african daisies, sage, privet (of course), daylillies, cannas, 4 o'clocks, iris', and i even have a azalea that i am nursing. I have just this year planted red tips and another butterfly bush, well 2 actually, but i have already had 2 or 3 die. Oleanders don't seem to do to well either.

Remember, when u plant anything....water once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a month for a year. especially for new trees and bushes the first year is really important. Yes, I learned that thru experience and monumental tree replacement... :lol:

hope to hear from u soon
Venusvicky