It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:15 am 

:?:

My tomato plants are large and doing very well with tons of tomatoes on them. However, the tomatoes are rotting from the bottom of the tomato before they are ripe. What in the world is happening? I have raised tomatoes before, and never had this problem.

Can anyone help.

Tomatoless in Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:12 am 

Hi Vickey,

We had that problem last year. We applied calcium to the soil around the plants and the problem stopped. You can purchase organic products to help (we did), or you can sprinkle ground-up, dried eggshells around the base of your plants, and water them in well.

Our tomato plants responded immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:06 pm 

They will probably be just fine if you don't do anything either. It seems to be common at the beginning of the tomato harvest season to have a few tomatoes with blossom end rot, but normally, it's just temporary. I lose a couple of tomatoes every year when I first start picking, but it's short-lived and corrects itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:05 am 

Blossom end rot is from great fluxuation in moisture level in the soil.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:19 pm 

i have 37 huge plants and not 1 visible tomato yet! i am dying here. Yesterday I applied some spray to set fruit...nothing yet. I am wondering if I should put a little lime at the base of each plant, any ideas? Help. If I use eggshells, how many per plant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:11 pm 

Do they get plenty of sun? Do you feed it? With what and how often? What variety of tomatoes are they?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:48 am 

Yes, they get plenty of sun. I put 2500 lbs of manure down each spring and feed the plants at 2 week interval with Miracle gro weak solution ...they are flowering, but I have no tomatoes. I have been growing tomatoes for 30 years. These are all heirloom varieties that I grow from seeds taken from last yeasr tomatoes. I am very frustrated at this point...not a single tomato and the pkanst are approaching 5 feet in height

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:08 am 

BF - I have 2 suggestions;

1) Stop using MiraclGro and start using a balanced organic approach like what is recommended on this board:

Tomatoes
Make sure beds are prepared with lots of compost, volcanic rock powder or sand, sugar or molasses, organic fertilizer and mulch with a thick layer of organic matter. Fertilize at least two times during the growing season with organic fertilizer and spray the foliage at least every 2-3 weeks with Garrett Juice. Spray for spider mites with liquid seaweed, garlic-pepper tea or Garrett Juice. Use Garden-Ville Fire Ant Control formula for more persistent insect pests. Spray diseases as necessary with Garrett Juice plus garlic. Till citrus pulp into the soil for root knot nematodes and cornmeal for root diseases. Use both at 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet.

2) When you want to ask a question, don't tack it on the bottom of someone elses post. It's easy to get lost that way, just start a new one.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:02 am 

BF

Sandih's reccomemdations are good. I think what has happened to your large tomato plants is all of the energy has gone into the production of the plant due to the frequent application of MiraclGro. When this happens the plant won't set the blooms. I did the same thing one year before I became organic. I had giant plants, 6' plus, I had to support them along my fence they were so massive. They had many blooms, but never set any fruit. I was so disappointed. I never use MiraclGro since that happened.

Anyway, that's my opinion!