It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:38 pm 

I wasn't sure which forum was the most appropriate for this issue, but hopefully this is the one. After reading and hearing the glowing responses regarding the vanilla recipe for repelling mosquitoes, I gave it a go. Starting in May, it seemed to be working just fine. Now it is not working at all. I am wondering if the only reason it seemed to be working earlier is that there weren't that many mosquitoes, or that they weren't as aggressive as they are now. I tried using more of the mixture--drenching it on, and it still doesn't work. I can actually watch the mosquitoes make a bee line for me and then attack.

I was wondering what results others have had. I am using the recipe which calls for one teaspoon of orange oil, two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract, and 8 ounces of water. I shake it up really well before I spray it on.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:03 pm 

I have been using the vanilla spray for a couple of years with great results. My mixture is the same as yours except I don't use the orange oil. It has worked for me each time plus it smells good. The mosquitoes stop about 6 inches from me before they leave. I think they don't like the smell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:54 pm 
Add Deet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:19 pm 

ADD DEET? Is somebody trying to be smart or cute. We do not need either on this forum.
Richard Spitzer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:16 pm 

Kay Young wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi Kay,
I did a 'search' to find your post that has the mixture listed.

I'm trying a variation of sort. I began using an antibacterial hand sanitizer called "Germ-X" from Wal-Mart to take the sting and itch away after the fact. Works quite well.

So I got to playing around, as I usually do, and mixed in Orange Oil and Vanilla as you stated. I am finding that the mosquitoes might land on me but can't take a bite of me. Something is blocking the pores of the skin I believe.

The un-cut Germ-X is gel like but after adding the Orange Oil it gets real thin like water. I wish someone might be able to tell what the changes in chemistry are.

Maybe next time I'll mix it with beer or diesel fuel.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:25 pm 

I would not recommend diesel if you smoke. You might go up in a puff of diesel smoke. (LOL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 pm 

I've been spraying it on my 2 year-old who is a magnet for mosquitos for the past few days. It seems to be working, but we haven't been out for more than an hour or so at a time.

I haven't been adding the orange oil either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:03 pm 

I'm with you Kay. I tried the same formulation you mentioned and it didn't deter the mosquitos one bit. Maybe it works for some people and not for others. I am the official mosquito alarm in my neighborhood... Nobody else is being bothered or has even noticed one, meanwhile I am being stalked and covered with bites. :evil:

The only nontoxic formulation that works for me is OFF Botanicals. It is a plant based repellent in a lotion form with a very pleasant scent (eucalyptus) and no deet. This works well as long as it is not hot enough to make me sweat. In that case I have to resort to OFF Skintastic which has only 7% deet. And in extreme cases, such as when the sun is going down and the pitt-bull-mosquitos are out, I have to use the 14% OFF.

Post subject: Deet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:32 am 

Suzan,
Yes, those skeeter's do kind'a get on the big size in Irving, Tx.
Do you live near the Trinity River Bottoms?

Have you tried the CedarCide products?

Having ask that question I pose another:
Did Lowe's Lumber pull that product from their Garden Dept? They did here. I believe I heard that GreenLight bought CedarCide. Does anyone have info on this?

Lowe's does have some other organic products available but are displayed down at the end of other products next to the bird houses or other slow moving items.

Suzan, as for using the deet, I assume it's not on the kids and/or you are at least warning your neighbors about it's cause and effects.

Skeeter's have been thick here this year also. Sure cuts down on my outdoor morning/evening swing time on the porch.

To cut down on the after-bite itch, try a product called Germ-X from Wal-Mart. I bought a large bottle to refil the smaller pump dispensers I keep in the shop/house/swing areas.

Remember, don't slap and squash the skeeter's but brush them off your body. No sense in driving the snout futher in. So what if you don't kill it, there will be thousands to take it's place anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:21 pm 

Zipper, I live close to Texas Stadium...I guess that's close enough to the Trinity.

As for the deet, I am only referring to my own personal use. I don't have any kids and assume the neighbors are taking care of their own pest problems as they arise.

I have not tried CedarCide, does it work well? I have nothing but cedar mulch in all of my flowerbeds which run the entire perimeter of my yard and house. I thought that would be sufficient as far as cedar goes, no?

I would like to try BTI but cannot find the BT with the I in Irving...only other subspecies. :(

Post subject: Cedar Cide
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:35 pm 

Suzan,
Cedar mulch is not the same as the East Texas cedar oils used in the CedarCide products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:55 pm 

Thanks Zip. I will give CedarCide a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:29 am 

Suzan and Zipper,
I have been out of town and am just now reading your notes. Suzan, your experience with the two Off products is exactly my regimen. I, too, have not tried CedarCide, but I am planning to after reading Zipper's recommendation. Until you wrote, Suzan, I was beginning to think I was the only person who was unsuccessful with the vanilla formula.
Thanks for your input,
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:27 pm 

Kay, the vanilla formula also did not work for my husband.

Last evening, I tried SKEETER D'FEETER which I purchased at Lowe's. It is citronella oil based and seemed to work pretty well. It is also available in a hose-end sprayer for the yard if desired. Lowe's no longer carries CedarCide.

I'm not sure if I will use either of these products in my yard because I have a small pond with fish and many different species of dragonfly. I think these products may do the dragonflies harm.

According to Howard, BTI will only kill mosquitos...nothing else. I am still wanting to try this.

Does anyone know where to find BTI in Dallas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:22 am 

Suzan,
I think BTI is only used for controlling the mosquito larvae (or whatever you call the wigglers). I believe you can find it at most organic gardening stores. I have found it in the past at Redenta's.
K