It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:40 pm 

We have previously planted 2 trees next to one of our fences (full sun, good drainage) and both lived for 1-3 years then suddenly the leaves turned brown and the trees died (usually within 1 month of when the leaves turned brown). One tree was a chinqipin oak and the tree before that was a forest pansy redbud. Both were planted before we know about Howard's METHOD. I really need at least one shade tree in this spot and I was wondering if we used Howard's METHOD could we replant another chinqipin oak and hopefully not have it die. We live in the country and have your basic black gumbo soil. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:01 am 

If you pay attention to the site, you should be ok planting another tree there. Try a Shumard oak or for a change, maybe baldcypress (yes, baldcypress is drought hardy once established and doesn't need to live in a swamp). Just keep them fertized and lots of mulch and compost.

Note on baldcypress: Some metroplex soils give cypress fits. I have seen several nice cypress in Ft. Worth. So ask your local garden stores about your soil.

Be sure that the trees you purchase are quality trees. Pull them out of the pot at the store and make sure they don't have any girdling or circling roots. This could have been part of the problem with your previous attempts. Be sure to dig the ever popular “ugly hole” since the nice pretty ones promote girdling roots.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1139.html