It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:34 am 
Can you use regular kitchen cornmeal for the cornmeal juice or is there a difference in horticultural cornmeal....if so where do I get it? I live in Coppell, Tx. near Lewisville/Flower Mound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:25 pm 

the lewisville feed mill carries corn meal, horticultural corn meal, dry molasses, corn gluten meal, bluebonnet farms organic fertilizer, and beneficial nematodes. they seem to be a bit pricey to me but i havent had much luck finding these things locally to comparison shop. The feed mill is on main st. in old town lewisville a block west of mill st. on the left.
good luck!
unklmike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 7:44 pm 
In my search today....I found that very place. Got some cornmeal and molasses along with some green sand. Worked in the yard all morning....hope it starts paying off! It was fun. The feed store is really pretty cool!@

Post subject: Cornmeal query
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:47 pm 

Glad you found a good source for your products.
To answer your original question, yes, you can use regular old kitchen cornmeal but the horticultural cornmeal does work better.

Howard says this all the time, and I agree, Alliance's products really do work the best.
Kathe

Post subject: difference?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:56 pm 

Could someone explain the difference between corn meal from the grocery store, corn meal from the feed mill and horticultural corn meal?

:?:

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:01 pm 

As far as I know (which isn't much) corn meal for human consumption has to be kept in climate controlled areas for much of its ground up life. Otherwise there's a fungus that grows on it that becomes lethal in small quantities and remains lethal through cooking temperatures. So except for that little distinction, they should be the same product. Food grade is ground finer than most of the bulk bags I've seen.

There's a woman on another forum that is researching corn meal in all its forms. She is 100% advocate for using the food grade stuff for the reason I mentioned. She's much less of an alarmist than I am and would never mention the problem with the fungus byproducts. Truthfully that fungus is not much of a problem in the agricultural industry but everyone who uses a lot of corn is familiar with it. The problems first came to public attention back in the 20s in the old USSR. They had people dying after eating bread made from contaminated wheat that was overwintered in regular silos. So they fixed that problem and hardly anyone hears about anyone getting sick anymore. Now it is limited to animals getting sick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:07 am 

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:22 pm 

For your gardening use, the Horticultural Cornmeal is the way to go. It has more punch per pound than whole ground corn. It is the outside of the kernel instead of the whole thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:29 pm 

KHWOZ wrote:
For your gardening use, the Horticultural Cornmeal is the way to go. It has more punch per pound than whole ground corn. It is the outside of the kernel instead of the whole thing.

Good deal, because I just found a place where I could get horticultural cornmeal as well as corn gluten meal.

Thanks!