It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:13 am 

Greetings:
I have some questions regarding the establishment of about 10,000 sf of Topgun Buffalograss turf in Pipe Creek (I have about 50 lbs of seed for good coverage). As I understand it, there is about a 10 to 14 day germination period for the seed. Due to the size of the area to be seeded, I didn't want to have to irrigate with sprinklers, and was going to wait for mother nature to get me going. That being said, I wanted to use a hay mulch to spread over the area to retain moisture and keep the seed from being washed away during storm events. My fear is, that with the coastal bales that are commonly available, that I will be introducing weed and bermuda seed to my new turf. Would I be better served with an alfalfa hay or a wheat straw? If so, where can I find it? Most of the ads I see are for Coastal.

Alternatively, to jump start the germination, I have read that the seed may be soaked (with fresh water daily) for three days prior to seeding. Has anyone tried this method? I was concerned that after three days of soaking, the seed would not be easily spreadable.

Thanks for any advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:44 am 

Simply put, hay has living seeds in it. You will always get a crop of whatever the hay has when you use hay. If you meant straw bales, then that's different. Straw does not have living seed in it.

Still, compost is a better bet all around. One quarter inch of compost (1 cubic yard per 1,000 square feet) is great.