It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Zinnias and Blight
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:53 pm 

We dug a new bed this year to accommodate oriental lily bulbs that I received as a birthday present. I planted short zinnias from a reputable nursery to fill in the space while the bulbs are sprouting. The bed was prepared with composted cow manure, humus, bagged top soil and partially finished compost from our own bin. We turned up lots of earthworms and more than a few grubs. The zinnias were planted and watered in with a seaweed solution. They are growing nicely and are producing lots of pretty blossoms. However, the leaves are covered with brown spots and the pretty new flower petals are soon disfigured by the spots. This condition started very soon after we planted the zinnias. Could they have been infected at the time of purchase?

I "googled" some and believe that the zinnias may have Alternaria Zinnae blight. The cures sound chemical to me. Is this basically a fungus and can it be cured organically? What is causing it? The plants are mulched at the base with our own compost and get a home brew foliar feeding about every week to 10 days. Are they getting too much moisture? Will this problem affect the oriental lilies that are now producing nice stalks and buds?

Many thanks for your advice.
Tricia

Post subject: Sad Zinnias
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:11 pm 

This sounds like a condition with the root of too much water. With all the rain we have had it's not surprising. Also, zinnias love lots of sun, so if they aren't getting enough that might well contribute to your problems.

I have had success with this situation by mixing cornmeal into the soil (if it is already moist, don't bother watering more) and then a good compost tea foliar spray with garlic. That cured the problem completely within 5 days.

Perhaps this will work for you. It's quick and simple.

Kathe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:13 pm 

Me and my zinnias say "Thanks."

They are getting about 6 hours of sun a day. I will watch the watering and add garlic to the next foliar feed.

Tricia