It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:27 pm 

We have a 30 acre hay meadow. In the past chemical fertilizers have been used. This year we are "resting" the meadow from hay production. We are just brush hogging it. We want to use a combination of liquid molasses, liquid humate and maxicrop to improve the soil. We plan to spray it on with a spray rig on the back of the tractor. But I am not sure of the appropriate amounts to use. I get the liquid molasses and liquid humate at the farmers' co-op. I bring 5 gallon buckets and they fill them up for me. In the past I have sprayed my vegetable garden with it. The spray rig holds in excess of 300 gallons of liquid. So how do I mix these things. How much of each? Do I mix the liquid humate with water or use it straight. Also the maxicrop. How do I use it? I know it is very concentrated but I cannot find out how to mix it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Carol ANn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:11 pm 

The only information I could give you Carol Ann is to find out how much liquid your sprayer put out per acre. I do not know what state you live in but your country extension office could/should be able to help calibrate your sprayer for you. Keep in mine you have to maintain the same speed on your tractor, same pressure same RPM. Also some of the country extensions are not organic friendly. If your sprayer is putting out 10 gallon per acre just subtract the recommended level per acre on the bottle. Eg. If Maxicrop label recommended ½ gallon per acre all you need to add is 9 ½ gallon of water to mix the to together to get 10 gallons. I hope this helps

cowboysheart

Post subject: Mixing Liquid Amendments
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:34 pm 

Yep, that's about right. No, don't put the liquid humate out undiluted. It won't hurt anything but it's wasteful and overkill.

Seaweed at 1 oz. per gallon of water and liquid humate at 2 oz. per gallon is just about right. If you throw in some molasses you'll get a real bang for your buck. Mix in the molasses at 2 oz. per gallon. That's a great combination. You should have a huge container of what looks like medium strength iced tea.

As for how to calibrate the rate of application, find someone who knows about that and/or call the manufacturer for help if you can't find your manual. Or maybe some of these engineer types will offer their advice!

Good luck! :D
Kathe
Kathe

Post subject: liquid humates
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:04 pm 

I don't know about maxi crop but I will give my formula. I use sea water and use 1gal per 100 gals, 1gal liquid humate/in same 100 gals, 1gal molasses in same 100 gal, and finally 4 lbs of potassium nitrate (considered organic as this is doug out of earth). I use this mixture in 100 gals (tank holds 200 gal) of water and then drive tractor in high # 2 and it comes out all most exactly for 10 acres. If it is really rough, you will think your kidneys have dropped by 3 inches when you are done but it always comes out just about right.
Robert D Bard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:11 pm 

We have Liquid Humate and SeaWeed Tea as part of our program. Give us a call, and yes others on this site have used us with great sucess and recommend us also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:35 am 

you may be interested in this http://www.oceangrown.com/index.htm