It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hyper dog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:05 am 

:?: I had a client call me asking if I knew of anything to give her dog to calm him down. The only thing that comes to mind is using Chamomile. I wonder if she was to put dried Chamomile in his bedding, or maybe sprinkle a little on his food. I need suggestions, can anyone help? :?

Post subject: hyper dog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:57 pm 

I use a product called Bach's Rescue Remedy made from Essence Flowers to calm my dog when she gets hyper. You can find it at Whole Foods and I even found some in the herbal section of Tom Thumb (but it may be hit or miss). It is designed to treat people for shock or stress, but has worked wonders on my dogs (I volunteer for an animal rescue group). I had a dog who paced constantly and I put three drops of the rescue remedy in a small dish of water. She stoped pacing completely and relaxed for the first time. One item to note is that the product does contain a high amount of alcohol. I did some research on-line before I gave it to my dog and I'd recommend you do the same.

Post subject: Hyper Dog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:55 pm 

Thank you so much. I will pass this information on to my client. :D

Post subject: hyper dog
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:49 am 

As a kennel owner, have seen many hyper dogs for various reasons. Many clients will use benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg to calm the animal. Have checked with vet concerning regular use of this. Stomach upset can occur. Have used a 50mg dose for my 89# lab as a sedative in the evenings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:08 pm 

Since you're researching different things to try, you might look at Kava Kava. I use it for my nervous dog. I would try it on a hyper one if needed. Seems to be an herb that just takes the "edge" off.
Julie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:39 pm 

I swear by Rescue Remedy - good stuff! Kava Kava can be toxic to the liver, so be careful what brand you give - Natrol is one that is pretty good, and the dosage per capsule is reliable. Another natural remedy is Valerian ... Both Valerian and kava kava are ingredients in some products sold in pet supply stores..and in Dr. Foster and Smith catalog. But, in my book, nothing works as well as Rescue Remedy. Some for the dog, some for the human when the thunder and lightning get really heavy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:24 pm 

Have you checked this dog's diet? I had a friend who feed their dog Science Diet which was loaded with sugar. No more of this and mellow dog. Is this a young dog and is this dog getting enough exercise? Is the owner a bit on the wacko side? I would try to do a little research before loading up on drugs to fix a problem that may not need it. Other than that the Rescue remedy maybe good for the owner to calm herself before she interacts with her pet. Good luck