It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:42 pm 

I have done a little researching and best I can tell, my soil has a slight nitrogen deficiency. Also, I have been told adding humate will help release the nutrient that are in the soil. I was told to look for a 6% nitrogen fertilizer. Garden-ville has one that is 6-2-2 and that is recommended by Howard. Bioform Dry, also recommended by Howard has 5-3-4. Is 6-2-2 really that much more nitrogen that it would help with a nitrogen deficiency? Natural Gardener makes an 8-2-4 which sounds good but is this starting to get into the too much nitrogen category?

FYI, on a side note, I was told the problem I'm having of going to seed is caused by my grass not being heat tolerant enough. Apparently my grass thinks 90s is hot enough and the growing season must be over--time to produce seed. I was told to spray with seaweed regularly to help and hopefully prevent it in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:17 pm 

Get your soil tested! I've heard many different approaches from many different organic folks and the most common problem is too much advice before you get your soil tested. This will tell you EXACTLY what your soil is lacking. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:25 pm 

I think the numbers on the bag are way over hyped. If you used 5-2-3 and applied it just slightly heavier than recommended, you would get the same effect as if you used one with more nitrogen.

I don't try to over analyze the diet for my soil microbes. I prefer to feed them corn meal because it is cheap and has other benefits. Every batch of corn has a different protein analysis, but who cares? I do believe the commercial brands of organic fertilizers, such as Espoma and others, perform better than straight corn meal because they contain a mix of different grains. The only problem with them is they cost about 6x more than corn meal. Soy and alfalfa have more nitrogen (higher range), but I don't really see that the exact measurement is that important.