It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:06 pm 

I'm guilty!! I fell in love with a plant, and brought several of them home without knowing much about them (ie. do they do well here?). I planted them in a spot according to the recommendation (part sun/shade). The label says it is "Astilbe" , a perennial....they have a cluster of frond-like blooms, feathery white....very pretty. Will they continue to bloom over the summer.....or do they just bloom in the spring? And.....are they really perennial?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:16 pm 

I bought many Astilbe this year too. Mine have magenta/lavender flower spikes. Some of them were not in very good condition when I bought them but, seem to be coming around now. I have planted them in a variety of locations - full shade, mid-morning sun, and late afternoon to evening sun. The ones in shade are sending up new spikes now but, they were planted a few weeks before the others.

I guess we are blazing the trail here since no one else has responded :)

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:34 am 

I just came across Astilbe in The Encyclopedia of Container Gardening and it said it will bloom in the spring and early summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:47 am 

I just came across Astilbe in The Encyclopedia of Container Gardening and it said it will bloom in the spring and early summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:30 am 

Thank you, Suzan, for your reply!!

I have also found some info while going through some old issues of Southern Living.....in an article about gardening, astilbe is mentioned as a "summer-maturing perennial" and suggests that they will bloom throught the hot days of summmer!! So......we should congratulate ourselves after all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:35 pm 

I hope it does bloom throughout the summer...that would be nice. Even if it doesn't, I like the foliage. It reminds me of a strawberry plant but, on a larger scale.

Thanks for your input too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:39 pm 

I'm glad to hear that someone else got carried away when they saw a plant! I fell in love with an astilbe, too - the lavender one. Mine's in shade and is doing really well, lots of new growth. Thanks for the information about its blooming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:30 pm 

I have never grown an astilbe, but I looked it up in Howard's "Plants for Texas". He says it blooms in early summer in shade to partial sun, and that it needs cool, moist, even boggy soil in partial shade. He says astilbe doesn't like our hot weather. Once again, a plant that thrives in the hot summer in more temperate areas of the country cannot stand our blazing sun and heat. Sounds like shade is the way to go.
K