It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:11 am 

I live in Waco, McLennan County and have a problem with fleas in my backyard. More precisely, my dog has a problem with fleas in the backyard. I've broadcast beneficial nematodes and I feed my dog Muenster dog food w/ Missing Link. I don't mix DE in with her food because I think Muenster has DE in it. Any other ideas? Would spraying orange oil help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 12:44 pm 

Orange oil is a broad based insecticide, it will kill beneficials as well as the baddies. I just dust my dogs with DE and add it to their food. An overall healthy yard is the best control.

Fleas and Ticks

Spray the infested site with Garden-Ville Fire Ant Control formula (same as Garden-Ville Soil Conditioner) or any citrus oil, compost tea, and molasses mix.

Treat the site with beneficial nematodes. These are living organisms so use before the date deadline on the package.
Dust pet sleeping quarters, if necessary, with natural diatomaceous earth.

Bathe pets with herbal shampoos. The most effective products contain citrus (d-limonene) and tea tree oil (melaleuca).

Spray the site regularly with Garrett Juice.

Homemade Garden-Ville Fire Ant Control - mix one part compost tea, one part molasses, and one part citrus oil concentrate. Mix at 4-6 ounces per gallon of water for treating fire ant mounds. Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar per gallon water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:26 pm 

Another thing that will help your dog with fleas is to supplement the diet with garlic and brewer's yeast. I am not real familiar with the Muenster dog food..I seem to remember reading the label and that this brand has a lot of grain product in it. With my four dogs, I had skin problems with some food that was grain-based, but when I switched to a premium brand (Nutro Natural, Innova, Solid Gold, or Diamond) the skin problems and flea irritation really helped a lot. The brewer's yeast and garlic seem to make the dog's blood or skin unpalatable to fleas! I hear that it keeps vampires away, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:11 am 

If you can have them there, guinea hens are amazing at getting rid if fleas and ticks. Theydo not scratch like chickens and tear up mulch coverings. But they are noisy. By far the best watchdogs I have.

Post subject: flea control
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:59 pm 

Mow the yard and sprinkle in cedar flakes that you would put in a hamster cage. I haven't had a tic or flea problem on my dogs since.